The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
What were helmets like in the 1970s? Do you have a picture to share? Did not even know they existed back then.
Early 70's
hairnet.jpg

Mid 70's
biker.jpg

Sharky

Guru
What were helmets like in the 1970s? Do you have a picture to share? Did not even know they existed back then.

From 1968 and the helmet was old then and they were referred to as "hairnets", but did you know that there was a rider who actually wore a real hairnet - Vic Gibbons.

bootle.jpg

This was my one and only time I rode on a track.

I posted earlier why I feel it's not an entirely personal decision https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/5484729 .

WADR it is a completely personal decision. It is an individual's choice if they believe that a helmet might save them from some injuries and that decision makes them more confident to cycle. The fact that numbers may affect government decisions is not their problem and not an issue they should feel in the least bit guilty or concerned about.

Governments make decisions for all sorts of reasons, some justified and some not, and if compulsion should come about (wrongly in my opinion), that is because the non compulsion lobby has not got their tactics or their lobbying right.

Good luck to you in your efforts, but don't expect me, or any others, to jettison my/our helmet/plastic lid to help your cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
WADR it is a completely personal decision. It is an individual's choice if they believe that a helmet might save them from some injuries and that decision makes them more confident to cycle. The fact that numbers may affect government decisions is not their problem and not an issue they should feel in the least bit guilty or concerned about.

Governments make decisions for all sorts of reasons, some justified and some not, and if compulsion should come about (wrongly in my opinion), that is because the non compulsion lobby has not got their tactics or their lobbying right.

Good luck to you in your efforts, but don't expect me, or any others, to jettison my/our helmet/plastic lid to help your cause.

When did anyone ever suggest that helmet wearers should remove their helmets?

Mod Note:
Up thread it has been suggested that helmet wearers influence the way the public, consequently our law makers, sees cycling, as an activity that needs safety equipment.
We are going round in circles, please stick to the OP of this thread.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can we stick to the OP when it is about nothing except how marvellous helmets are? As Mickle says, no one has suggested people who like helmets shouldn't wear them, just that they should stop preaching about it and promulgating untruths about their effectiveness.

We are indeed going round in circles, which is why this entire thread should be merged with the one-and-only Helmet Discussion, because that is what it is (along with being another attempt by a helmet evangelist to get round the forum guidelines).

How can we stick to the OP when it is about nothing except how marvellous helmets are? As Mickle says, no one has suggested people who like helmets shouldn't wear them, just that they should stop preaching about it and promulgating untruths about their effectiveness.

We are indeed going round in circles, which is why this entire thread should be merged with the one-and-only Helmet Discussion, because that is what it is (along with being another attempt by a helmet evangelist to get round the forum guidelines).

Read the OP again. It quite clearly starts off by accepting that helmets will not protect against all injuries, and might under certain circumstances lead to some injuries, but then goes on to state the poster's belief that it stopped him having worse injuries in his particular fall so he was going to buy another one.

That is absolutely not about nothing except how marvellous helmets are.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
this thread is in the helmet debates sub-forum, which is the correct place for it.
The OP @Chris S wants to discuss the feeling, the experiences, the state of mind, that led him to choose to wear a helmet.
Responses could include opposite experiences, reasons for not choosing to wear one.
Statistics and challenges can go in the other thread, this one is about personal preference.
I know the topics are overlapping, but statistics and proof is not what the OP is about.
Thank you.

Pat "5mph"

But Pat, we have been posting our reasons for not choosing to wear a helmet! We have been told off for doing so and had posts removed. This is ludicrous, it's a helmet debate, what else could it possibly be?
Maybe this could be a calm debate?
Imo this thread is more about feelings than evidence, but the OP can clarify when he comes back.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The helmet topic sits at the intersection of risk assessment, materials science, public health policy, physics, psychology, fashion, commerce, celebrity, statistics and medicine.

Wot he said. No point talking about it if we can't talk about all this stuff. People just broadcasting opinions and anecdotes into a vacuum is dull dull dull.

Pat "5mph"

Wot he said. No point talking about it if we can't talk about all this stuff. People just broadcasting opinions and anecdotes into a vacuum is dull dull dull.
Aye, but it's allowed on the internets ^_^

it would seem the only way is to start your reply with my feelings are ……

my feelings are this thread is no different to any other helmet thread .:wacko:
Will I just lock it then? :tongue:

classic33

Leg End Member
Can I say that as a cyclist who didn't wear a helmet, my own choice, as I didn't want to be bothered with one. Maybe that was me giving the "single finger salute" to those who said I should be wearing one as a pedestrian. Along with the body armour, also mentioned as something that should be worn in the extreme sport that is shopping by cycle.

I got a full face helmet, which is often worn on two wheels. Three & four it'd be overkill, in my opinion. Which is just my opinion. My last one written off, was when I was t-boned by car. Didn't stop the leg getting damaged. I've a slightly larger than normal skull, at 67cm, it appears. I think it's more down to the slightly odd shape. Due to repeated impacts(Repeated blunt trauma impact, referenced earlier) with the floor over the years. For which I was given one of the old style "hairnets" and the body armour. I have some side protection as well as front and rear, including limited base of skull. I chose to wear that type of helmet, not being told to wear it. Considered by some I know who wear helmets as being "a bit over the top", my choice they know what they can do.

I've cycled in the body armour mentioned, not my thing for a four times daily commute. Borrowed from someone who uses it for downhill mountain biking. My only questions were monetary based. I never asked why he chose to wear it, nor did I say he was going over the top by wearing it.

I tried last night to see if the enclosed air supply mask would fit inside, it won't, so those fumes from cycling on the roads are down to the body to deal with.

I'm unable to give a reason as to why I don't want to wear the helmet and body armour as a pedestrian, but willing to be on two wheels with them. They'd be free, so cost to me isn't one of the reasons.

Top Bottom