The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My Kids' school has recently sent out a letter informing us they will be considering adding helmets to the uniform policy when cycling.

They asked for opinions. Ive just written them a 505 word letter why they shouldn't.
They'll be making certain that those pupils travelling on school buses will be using the seat belts fitted. Whilst also assuming legal responsiblity for the kids who cycle to school.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My Kids' school has recently sent out a letter informing us they will be considering adding helmets to the uniform policy when cycling.

They asked for opinions. Ive just written them a 505 word letter why they shouldn't.
Tim Gill covered this. http://cycle-helmets.com/cyclingreport_timgill.pdf

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I have always had a crash helmet, more to keep the wife happy as she gets a little worried. I often wouldnt bother if she was out for the day.
The other year we went on holiday to the far east. One day we were in a cab coming back from a day trip. We passed by what seemed like a very recent collision between a bike and a car. Im not going to go into much detail because I dont really like having the image in my head. The overriding memory however was of people just looking at the person on the ground, knowing there probably wasnt anything they could do. Would a helmet have helped? maybe, maybe not.
But I have worn mine ever since.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The only thing a cycle helmet is guaranteed to do is stop other people bitching about you not wearing one.

yehuda mom helmet.gif

mjr

The Tour de France presentation in Brussels today has the racers very visibly riding through the crowd in formation over cobbles, up and down ramps, giving high-fives as they go and stopping on marks to be interviewed - so it seems that even ASO and UCI finally accept that there are times when helmets are unnecessary, and if they're not needed for that obstacle course, surely I don't need them for a flattish ride into town on smooth tarmac. :smile:

ozboz

Guru
FECE2717-BB64-40F0-A70D-E6AEC8F028F1.jpeg

I ordered one of these yesterday, Bontrager WaveCel Commuter , if my new job venture turns out ok then I will be doing a lot of commuting between Richmond and London, I’ve had some let’s say ‘moments’ on the bike in and around London so for me it’s a must ,especially as Ms ozboz went down and smacked her head just over her eye socket on a kerb due to an idiot with his dog with a retractable lead , her helmet saved a very nasty head wound , also hopefully for me it help keep my noggin warm and dry ,

icowden

Veteran
Well at least the refutation has as much nonsense as the article it complains about. The author starts off arguing that you can't state the results of one piece of statistical analysis unless you try to compare it to a completely different dataset. He then falls back on the canard that if you have the safest cycling infrastructure in the world (Holland) you don't need a helmet and that therefore that should apply worldwide to any country or town regardless.

What's probably most annoying is that neither the news media nor the site quoted above seem to have the first idea of what Dr O'Halloran's research paper is about, instead opting to parrot some statistics related to the research and a quote where he suggests that helmets reduce the risk of skull fracture (which to me seems not unlikely).

Maybe at some point when the paper is published we will see some more informed commentary.

mjr

I'll move this here before the mods have to. Someone posted a link to the current BC Best Practice Guidelines (which clubs are strongly advised to follow if they want to be covered by the insurance) which includes "All riders must wear a helmet."

At committee level we have a discussion going on about the requirement to use a helmet. BPG says all riders must wear helmets. Everyone in our club does but our own club guidelines only advise it rather than require it.
It's a bit strange that BC are issuing guidelines which act completely opposite to their public position on helmets for everyday road cycling which includes to "support the right of each individual to choose whether or not to accept this recommendation [to use helmets] and recognise the limit to the protection that helmets provide", isn't it?

This scourge of using BC rules and insurance guidelines basically to force helmet use seems to have spread from races to sportives to charity rides and now to club rides.

Jaykun85

just been reading this thread .. and its been quite interesting. To wear a helmet or not to wear a helmet .. it is eco individuals right to choose as in this country it isn't a legal requirement. I Ride a Motorcycle also and legally have to wear one, I have seen even on a bike helmet the damage that can be caused coming off at 20 - 30 mph .. which some cyclist can manage on there pedal powered machines (sadly im not there yet). I would always wear a helmet when going out on my pushbike. The risk is too great not to, drivers seem to be less forgiving and the whole, im bigger than you there for I have the right of way mentality seems all but here to stay (contrary to the Highway Code).

For the sake of looking like a tool I would much rather stack my chances if the worst should happen.

I was speaking to a friend who remembers that when Motorcycle helmets where safe compulsory there where riots about having to wear them, as people just didn't want to.

So everyone has there choice to wear or not to wear that is the question, but its just up to you and if you would want to take the risk. As if something should happen then hindsight would become much more clearer.

The way I see it .. bones can heal .. brain damage not so much

This is just my thoughts and opinions and I always respect others and won't preach about them having to wear one.

Drago

Legendary Member
So everyone has there choice to wear or not to wear that is the question, but its just up to you and if you would want to take the risk. As if something should happen then hindsight would become much more clearer.

The way I see it .. bones can heal .. brain damage not so much
Is it a risk though? Unlike motorcycle helmets, which are of greatly differing construction, the case for injury reduction abilities of cycle helmets is much less clear cut. Indeed, scientifically there is little case at all, and the argument in favour of wearing one is a prevailing narrative that automatically presumes they must automatically make you safer and less likely to apprehend a head injury.

The choice is indeed for the individual, but it should be an informed choice, not one based on a presumption that something is automatically beneficial.

Top Bottom