The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Certainly livened up this old chestnut of a debate hasn't it!!!!
You flatter yourself.

gds58

Über Member
Nice to see you wearing a lid in your avatar there. Basically just an aeroshell, isn't it..??

Nope, that was an approved protective aero helmet made by Specialized but only available in the USA where the safety requirements are a little higher and their helmets differ slightly from those in Europe. I can't remember what it was called but it's not been available for many years (that avatar pic' was 23 years ago!) one of our team members brought a load in from the states.

Back then I didn't always wear a helmet when out training (always when racing) until I crashed on a slippery corner one day and hit the side of my head just in front of the ear. This caused my jaw to dislocate which was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. Had I been wearing a helmet it would have prevented that part of my head from hitting the road. From that day onwards I have never ridden without a helmet on. My choice based on my own experiences and from what I've seen professionally.

Leaving your partner to spend hers or his life looking after a 'vegetable' isn't too clever either. Doesn't exactly give them much freedom of choice afterwards!

The use of desperate emotional bullying such as this is hypocritical unless you are going to explain the following case where a pedestrian or car driver failed to wear a helmet:

Leaving your partner to spend hers or his life looking after a 'vegetable' isn't too clever either. Doesn't exactly give them much freedom of choice afterwards!

Is the injury any less serious, the effect on the partner any less, is feeding a pedestrian "vegetable" easier and less traumatic?

Nope, that was an approved protective aero helmet made by Specialized but only available in the USA where the safety requirements are a little higher and their helmets differ slightly from those in Europe.

In which case you will know that the European standard is considered inadequate in the US and not allowed to be used in many events in the US.

gds58

Über Member
The use of desperate emotional bullying such as this is hypocritical unless you are going to explain the following case where a pedestrian or car driver failed to wear a helmet:

Is the injury any less serious, the effect on the partner any less, is feeding a pedestrian "vegetable" easier and less traumatic?

I'm sorry but I really don't understand this post at all!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
shock horror.

Maybe you should start reading at page one instead of ranting at page one hundred and seventeen.

Complete and utter nonsense! Do you really imagine that motorists bother to make an assessment of whether or not a cyclist is wearing a helmet. Some drivers will simply drive in a certain way regardless of other factors. Your 'argument' suggests that if a cyclist is NOT wearing a helmet that he or she will be given more respect from motorists! You're in fantasy land I'm afraid, it makes no difference to them at all.

Shame you are woefully ignorant of the evidence?

The DfT showed that motorists DO treat differently. Cyclists wearing protective equipment were shown to be considered as "more experienced" and that therefore there was no need to slow down or give additional room when passing.

Other evidence from Bristol again confirmed this showing that helmeted cyclists were given less room than non helmeted.

Why not actually look into the evidence before making peurile claims about fantasy?

I did not think for one minute you would. The people who spout this emotive rubbish are usually too fixed on a very limited , unproven and desperate agenda to think outside that very small box

Top Bottom