The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I drove Landrovers off road extensively 1975 1976, 3.5 litre but suspect this was before the flat fronted ones I the article above.. Coal field surveying from Ashfordby through the Vale of Belvoir, Grantham to Sleaford. Most ran on bar grip tyres, and crikey, we gave them some grief, being young stupid fellas. Useless on wet grass, but we had lots of fun on farmland.
Talk full of fuel most days, glad I wasn't paying for it. I had the dubious honour of breaking the chassis on one, we used to drive full pelt down a hill from Belvoir toward Bottesford, launching all four wheels off the ground over a small bridge I seem to remember...nothing to be proud of with hindsight...but we really were young and stupid.
Lovely fun vehicles...I always understand why most people who have driven them love them.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Removed for personal information reasons.

Agree. They may look near identical but the differences are manifold and significant.

Round these parts pre Defenders dressed up with Defender badges are known as Offenders. Sadly many owners are too thick to even understand themselves what they actually have.
And as for the number of coil-sprung/automatic (or 5-speed manual)/disc-braked Series 2's that are always around, in order to be 'Tax Exempt'....
Until it's involved in a RTC/insurance claim, & its real identity is known, then it's "Goodbye insurance payout. Hello HMRC for (essentially) tax evasion?"

Yes, I know the 'points system' hasn't always been around, but pound to a penny, a lot are built to avoid VED

Last edited:
This is a very nice 110CSW in the present (May) issue of Land Rover Monthly

It’s in what most people think of as an archetypal Land Rover colour; ’Bronze Green’, however it wasn’t an optional colour back then (1998)

I’d love to own this, the body coloured roof makes a big difference
The galvanised body-cappings look good too

Personally, if it was mine, I’d;
1. Lose the side-steps & have ‘rock-sliders’ (the aluminium trim-panels, under the doors, can be bent by hand!)
2. Have the wheels finished in Satin-Black (or swapped for a steel wheel)
3. Fit ‘NAS’ sized lighting, but still LED (‘doubling up’ at the rear, like my old 110Td5)
4. Fit a 'body/cross-member mounted' spare tyre carrier, to take the weight off the door-hinges (it might have one??)

IMG_9684.jpeg

That 2A has a Ford ’Ecoboost’ engine!!
(the 1.6, from a Fiesta ST!!)
IMG_9683.jpeg

During change-over to 'NAS' lighting
Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. NAS. Front Light. 3.JPG

Size comparison (& less opaque lens)

Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. NAS. Tail-Light. 1.JPG

Upper = tail-brake
Lower = tail/fog
Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. NAS. Tail-Light. 4.JPG

Defender. S50 RAT. Technical. Electrical. NAS. Tail-Light. 6.JPG