The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That is a thread for owners of large SUVs, not owners of SUVs who happen to be large. Although if you are large yourself that is no disqualification.

Qualification criteria for membership, and thus discussion of your vehicle:

Minimum weight: 1.75 tonnes.

Transmission: AWD, 4WD, either selectable or on demand.

Minimum ground clearance: 7 inches/175mm.

Ideally more than 4 cylinders and higher capacity than 2 litres, but we're flexible on this point as downsizing of engines is an insiduous modern disease.

I know there are Offender, Disco, Kodiaq, XC70 and XC90 owners out there, so slip on that lumberjack shirt and camo jacket, grow a beard, come in from the cold, and join the discussion.

Serving Suggestion:

Please note - we're only interest in the safe, legal, and responsible use of our cars. There are plenty of twunts in Fiat 500's and Foci that drive like tits and that gets forgotten by the professionally offended and indignant. We do not condone the reckless, unnecessary, inappropriate or frivolous use of ANY car.

Last edited:

Boopop

Guru
Can we add to the "Qualification criteria for membership" that posters have to state why they bought a large SUV, and why they feel they need it, and what sort of location they live in? (Rural vs sub-urban vs urban).

Given this is a cycling forum, I don't have much love for people who buy these just to take the kids to school in the suburbs, given that they are more dangerous for both cyclists and pedestrians. Of course, those that actually have a need, or at least use it regularly off road for leisure, well it's a different story somewhat. I suspect the majority of these vehicles are being sold to people who don't need them however, as they're more profitable. The Ford Fiesta is no longer for sale in the US because it's not profitable.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/oct/07/a-deadly-problem-should-we-ban-suvs-from-our-cities

For the record my dad drives a Volvo XC...something. He does live rurally though, however I suspect he could manage with just a 4WD car. Given his age (73) I wouldn't want him and his partner driving in snowy conditions anyway given it's the Peak District and when it does snow there they get it pretty severely. They always have plenty of food in too and can easily get more delivered anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Can we add to the "Qualification criteria for membership" that posters have to state why they bought a large SUV, and why they feel they need it, and what sort of location they live in? (Rural vs sub-urban vs urban).
I didn't buy it, it was bequeathed to me.

But this thread isn't to justify why you upgrade to a new smartphone as often as you can afford, or why people fly abroad on holiday, neither of which I do. You can start another thread elsewhere if justifying consumer choices is your fancy and I'd be happy to give my two penneth.

This is for owners to discuss experiences, trade tips and advice, complain about dog hairs in the carpet, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Boopop

Guru

But this thread isn't to justify why you upgrade to a new smartphone as often as you can afford, or why people fly abroad on holiday, neither of which I do. You can start another thread elsewhere if justifying consumer choices is your fancy and I'd be happy to give my two penneth.

This is for owners to discuss experiences, trade tips and advice, complain about dog hairs in the carpet, that sort of thing.

In which case my only tip would be to sell it and buy something more suitable for your actual needs and pocket the difference, unless you are planning on taking it off road regularly :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I dont even take it on road regularly.

But on the rare occasions I veture forth it is well suited for a 6'4", 19 stone man, a dog, a child, a wife and her wheelchair. Certainly its much better suited than the supposedly environmentally friendly Polestar 2 that Mrs D bought. The Volvo's split tailgate make loading and unloading the wheelchair wonderfully easy, and neither she or I are getting any younger - im a big husky chap and wrestling a wheelchair in and out the boot of a golf or the like is no fun, and city cars requiring the back seat down are even worse.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I've never regarded these things as an SUV. It's a slightly elevated volvo estate. My sister-in-law had one and was loathe to part with it for sentimental reasons.

It was a great vehicle, ate miles with ease, but also ate money. Suspension in particular was problematic, with several broken springs.

gbb

Legendary Member

I don't have...and am unlikely ever to have, a large SUV. They're not for me, too tight to pay the higher running costs (fuel etc), but I don't buy into someone criticising someone else's choice to have one, anymore than someone's choice to have a van, Rolls Royce, Audi, whatever.
If it were mine, I wouldn't even try to defend it, why should you ?

Boopop

Guru
I don't have...and am unlikely ever to have, a large SUV. They're not for me, too tight to pay the higher running costs (fuel etc), but I don't buy into someone criticising someone else's choice to have one, anymore than someone's choice to have a van, Rolls Royce, Audi, whatever.
If it were mine, I wouldn't even try to defend it, why should you ?

At a bare minimum I quite happily criticise the motoring industry fo putting so much advertising money in to trying to convince everyone they should own them. It's plain fact that they're worse for the environment and more dangerous for vulnerable road users such as cyclists and pedestrians, especially children.

If SUV owners were a country they'd be the 7th highest emitting country in the world. I don't have a vendetta against all SUV owners but I'm not too fond of those that seek to own one just as some sort of status symbol without any need for one. I'd also like to see some sort of additional fee for driving them around zones with lots of pedestrians, especially areas with lots of schools.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The problem is, lots of manufacturers have ditched traditional sized cars. Nissan ditched the Sunny/Almera and now the Pulsar for the Juke, and the Primera went the same way for the Qashqai. They don't have many normal cars other than the Micra, Leaf and a NEW electric SUV - normal cars just don't sell. Ford is stopping the Mondeo.

We have a Qashqai and a Primera. The Qashqai is actually shorter and slightly lighter than the salon, and better with fuel despite 'similar' power output and less aerodynamic. Whilst the SUV isn't quick, it's got a good driving position, and is more practial for loading stuff in - it will take a king sized divan. It's not great for loading 4 bikes on the roof as it's too high, hence keeping my old car running.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
At a bare minimum I quite happily criticise the motoring industry fo putting so much advertising money in to trying to convince everyone they should own them. It's plain fact that they're worse for the environment and more dangerous for vulnerable road users such as cyclists and pedestrians, especially children.

If SUV owners were a country they'd be the 7th highest emitting country in the world. I don't have a vendetta against all SUV owners but I'm not too fond of those that seek to own one just as some sort of status symbol without any need for one. I'd also like to see some sort of additional fee for driving them around zones with lots of pedestrians, especially areas with lots of schools.
The cycling lobby do have a Vendetta against SUV drivers , I read about it all the time. Tarred all with the same brush that’s fact. Personally I don’t care what anyone drives and don’t judge. Each to their own . I like all cars , all shapes and sizes jeez I even like some of the EVs but not Tesla’s , got to drawn the line somewhere :laugh:

Got my Discovery 4 for the 7 seats as in-laws cannot drive due to FiL’s macular degeneration. Allows the family to go on holiday with luggage and dog and carrys the bike on the back. It was useful last winter as well when a delivery driver got stuck in the snow and I towed his van out.

The car is almost 12 years old - I have no idea what the environmental impact of scrapping it and getting an electric car would be.

And as for a danger to cyclists - I am quite happy to sit well back until I can pass safely. Added benefit that not much will try to pass a big Disco, so cyclist gets some extra protection.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Got my Discovery 4 for the 7 seats as in-laws cannot drive due to FiL’s macular degeneration. Allows the family to go on holiday with luggage and dog and carrys the bike on the back. It was useful last winter as well when a delivery driver got stuck in the snow and I towed his van out.

The car is almost 12 years old - I have no idea what the environmental impact of scrapping it and getting an electric car would be.

And as for a danger to cyclists - I am quite happy to sit well back until I can pass safely. Added benefit that not much will try to pass a big Disco, so cyclist gets some extra protection.
Yep they are super cars , spendy to keep running but there is not much they can’t do ! I remember towing my lad up the hill during beast from the east back in 2018 we got smacked in central Scotland . Didn’t even need to engage the fancy box of tricks of all terrain . Hooked up the car with that tow rope and we drove up the hill easy!

gbb

Legendary Member

My 'annoyance' is more principle based thing.
Its legal to own one, its as simple as that. Why draw the line at SUVs, why not Audi A8s, 7series BMW, vans, and any other large vehicle you can think of, theyre often all much bigger than a single person needs, often a family needs....
Freedom of choice, that's the thing you're challenging in reality.:okay:

Top Bottom