The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
A guy round the corner has an older RR that he’s doing up , it’s a V8 ! Doesn’t sound quite as nice as his tricked out Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 .
Pah, puny engines ^_^

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Not quite hitting the 2 litre capacity, but Mrs B has a Tiguan AWD. A comfortable car and certainly capable of handling the ground we have covered when we have left tarmac.
In the floods a couple of years ago, it helped recover child 2 stranded in Wales when all public transport went AWOL. I still vividly recall driving along flooded roads, which with hindsight, were probably too deep in places, (headlight level), but it coped admirably.
The Tiguan replaced an old style Honda HRV written off by a texting delivery driver.
Her reason for buying it is because she feels safer in it than a small car. She has been involved two serious car accidents, neither of which were her fault. The last had her and my youngest daughter, propelled in her VW Polo (3rd gen) at 40 mph across the central reservation of a dual carriageway into an oncoming lorry.

gzoom

Über Member
Our first large SUV, only lasted 6 4 months before a Seat Ibiza did a suicide run into the side of it and wrote both off..

33419649402_be037c70da_o_d.jpg

Than I was in this for 6 months waiting for a replacement SUV to arrive the states...

34569006163_42c6e8c6ff_c_d.jpg

47k miles on the current one is going strong, its our family hack and taken us all over the UK, and hopefully to just south of the Arctic circle next year :smile:.

We don't need a car this big, we don't need a car this fast (under 5 seconds to 60), a none paved car park is as 'off road' as we ever go, and we certainly don't need a car this expensive. But I absolutely love it.

51370230928_7f22b35071_c_d.jpg

51423170376_9daf39d06a_c_d.jpg

44946039902_7d1899b791_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
As @Drago , & some others know, I have a Kodiaq

I wouldn't have bought it, but, SWMBO wanted a caravan (1), & a larger one than I suggested
Hence, whilst my Octavia estate probably had the torque to deal with it, it didn't have enough mass/weight, to prevent the possibility of 'The Tail Wagging The Dog Syndrome', hence the Kodiaq (2)

2.0Tdi (so, just within Dragos parameters)
6-speed manual
4x4..... well, 'on demand' I believe, with a Haldex central-diff
It's essentially a 'jacked-up' Scout, & I know how capable they are:okay:
YAS (Yorkshire Ambulance Service) use Scouts as Fast Response/All-Weather cars, & I haven't spoken to a driver yet, who doesn't like them

It's a 5-seater version, not the 7-seater, & only 4" longer than its predecessor

It'll cope with a few lighter Byways, but I'm sure I'd not be allowed to take it to a 'pay & play day':whistle:
Even on the road-tyres fitted, it ought to do pretty well, with all four sharing the work, & the rears not just supporting the back-end

I see, on average; over the last 5,000 miles (or so) since buying it, about 53MPG
One trip last weekend, saw it return over 60MPG

1. We sold our last 'BWSOWs' back in mid-2006, it had been on site for a while, but she (&her parents) decided a 'Posh Portacabin' was better suited
This was the last one, with coincidentally, my last Land Rover

2. I did consider a few others; Ford Tourneo (the 5-seater), a VW T5, Volvo XC70
We just happened to see this, on a forecourt
(I wouldn't countenance anything by BuM-W)

Last edited:
Think I know that spot does that have a seating area down near the water looking east up the Forth?
It's under the bridge, & the last house, at 'shore-level'
It was the house with the solar panels

keithmac

Guru
This is our current family car, Intelligent AWD with magnetic rear diff etc.

Chopped the Focus in when we bought the caravan.

Next car will be another Diesel SUV, there's a few in the running at the moment.

With regard to the above, one of the converted/'custom chassis' vehicles has started to reappear on social media
(from Mallorca)

There was (still is?) a company in Doncaster(?) called 'Bettaweld', one of the company owners/managers built his own 101FC chassis, as they're straight-rails, not like every other LR with a chassis, that has to allow for axle-travel
The customs also incorporated coil-spring cups, radius-arm brackets, etc.....
Axles from a defunct Range Rover (1970 -1995 model), or any coil-sprung LR were used

The engine was moved rearwards for better weight distribution, power-steering added

I know that one was used for Competative Safaris. as I've seen it in action

4, possibly 5, were built
Some information here; https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/22315-101-body-on-rrc-chassis/

GilesM

Legendary Member
I am not sure if my current SUV is officially big as defined in the OP, it's somewhere around 1.7 tons, but it happily meets all of the other criteria, especially the AWD drive when needed, still waiting for my new Defender, then I will definitely have a Big SUV.
I have really enjoyed the Evoque, a very clever car, press some buttons and it's happy to be driven like a hot hatch, then press some other buttons and it will get you through proper snow and slippery stuff with ease, and it's perfectly happy to sit at 120mph on the Autobahn in perfect quiet comfort.

Top Bottom