The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep they are super cars , spendy to keep running but there is not much they can’t do ! I remember towing my lad up the hill during beast from the east back in 2018 we got smacked in central Scotland . Didn’t even need to engage the fancy box of tricks of all terrain . Hooked up the car with that tow rope and we drove up the hill easy!
Same here. Some folk sneer at mine, but when it snows and mine is the only car in the street that get out of the village then suddenly everyone wants to know me.

While I never planned it that way it is handy. 3 unclassified roads in and out of the village. Of the 3 two flood when it rains heavily, necessitating going out the remaining road and doing a 20 mile detour unless yoy have a car with proper wading capacity. When its raining heavily Mrs D takes my car to work. Being minor roads they don't get gritted and have some nice gradients, so on the rare occasions it does snow a car with 4 driven wheels and 3Peaks rated winter tyres is very handy.

But it did 900 miles between MOTs, so churns out less sheet than a Prius that does 5000, and was one of the first models to make any serious attempt at pedestrian safety, has blind spot monotoring nearly 10 uears before any other model, so my conscience is pretty clear anyway.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I once had a Discovery V8. I also had a Mitsubishi Pajero. I learned whilst owning it, that it has a rather unfortunate and perhaps apt meaning in Spanish....

Anyway, that threw a rod and it is now probably in China, reincarnated as washing machines.

Here it is right after the breakdown.
pajero.jpg

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I can see an intercooler. 2800 diesel?
2.5, usually a reliable and "bullet proof" unit, used before and after the 2.8. I service them religiously, in fact, that breakdown was just after i replaced the diesel filter. Sadly, it seemed its previous owners neglected it. I took a gamble on it, not one that paid off...

Boopop

Guru
My 'annoyance' is more principle based thing.
Its legal to own one, its as simple as that. Why draw the line at SUVs, why not Audi A8s, 7series BMW, vans, and any other large vehicle you can think of, theyre often all much bigger than a single person needs, often a family needs....
Something like an Audi A8 or BMW 7 Series does not have a high bonnet, so is not as likely to kill pedestrians and children in a crash as SUVs...so I think that's an additional reason to dislike them vs just increase fuel use.

Freedom of choice, that's the thing you're challenging in reality.:okay:

Pretty much. There was much controversy at the time when smoking indoors was banned. I see this as pretty much the same. You need an additional driving licence to drive trucks, why not pickup trucks? None of the children in this image are visible to the driver...yet we allow them (or at least similar) near our schools, not to mention all the black particulates in childrens' lungs and potentially the brain xx(. All in the name of profit!

1637619366664.png

has blind spot monotoring nearly 10 uears before any other model, so my conscience is pretty clear anyway.

Definitely think blind spot monitoring like that should be mandatory for vehicles like this, ideally with a big alert when there's something there - I don't know how such systems work though, I hope they make it pretty obvious when there's someone in a blind spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I asked nicely once already. If you wish to start a discussion about the safety aspects then start your own thread.

This thread is for SUV owners. If you do not own one, do not plan to own one, and have nothing positive to contribute to this topic then start a thread elsewhere to discuss your grievances.

I don't nip repeatedly into your threads just to be awkward and contrary, so would ask you to return the courtesy.

Last edited:

Boopop

Guru
I asked nicely once already. If you wish to start a discussion about the safety aspects then start your own thread.

This thread is for SUV owners. If you do not own one, do not plan to own one, and have nothing positive to contribute to this topic then start a thread elsewhere to discuss your grievances.

I don't nip repeatedly into your threads just to be awkward and contrary, so would ask you to return the courtesy.

You did? Sorry, I genuinely missed it! Anyway, I don't think it's too contrary or awkward to question such vehicles even on an owner's thread when they're on a forum focussed on cycling (yes I know, on a sub-forum about motoring) especially when they're marketed to everyone rather than just those that actually need them. I do think reminding people who don't own them already but are pondering getting one of the harm they can cause in certain circumstances is a positive though, even if you don't think so...it's subjective of course. Anyway, I'll naff off now, thanks for putting up with me! :hello:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
XC70 for the family bus here.

Because, amongst other things (like there is zero gritting or clearance on our roads) we live close to the HS2 and EWR rail intersection and the road conditions are truly appalling following 2 years of construction traffic. Notwithstanding that, I burst a tyre because I was forced off the road by an oncoming vehicle into a 12"+ deep crater caused by lorries destroying the verge which ripped the sidewall earlier this year (EWR made a 'goodwill' payment - eventually)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I generally hate such things but must admit I would give garage space to an original Range Rover if my pockets were deeper.
A guy round the corner has an older RR that he’s doing up , it’s a V8 ! Doesn’t sound quite as nice as his tricked out Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 .

Top Bottom