The CycleChat White Van Driver/Owner Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ask, as I am thinking of getting a van shaped thing in a year or so - probably a 'people carrier type' with seats in. E.g Caddy/Lingo/Rifter sized or a Pug Traveller/Toyota ProAce Verso. Any vans to avoid ?. Whilst transits are very popular, they seem to rust and the wet belts aren't fabulous.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Used to have a 10 year old Fiat Doblo. Brilliant little van. Bought it just before the pandemic for £2800, put 20k miles on it and sold it last year for £3400!

Thinking about buying another van soon. Might try a Caddy this time - always fancied one.

Jameshow

Veteran
Used to have a 10 year old Fiat Doblo. Brilliant little van. Bought it just before the pandemic for £2800, put 20k miles on it and sold it last year for £3400!

Thinking about buying another van soon. Might try a Caddy this time - always fancied one.

You'll pay a caddy premium tbh.

Was it a 1.9tdi doblo? Great engine had it in zafira.

Tempted too. What was it like on the motorway?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There was a post in November2nd last year about a Peugeot Partner van which could be worth a look.
I have a car version with rear seats removed and the 1.6 diesel engine.
I used to get bikes in and now trikes tho’ the Kettwiessel is a bit long it does go in unfolded.
Higher ground clearance than the Berlingo if that is important.
I like it.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
You'll pay a caddy premium tbh.

Was it a 1.9tdi doblo? Great engine had it in zafira.

Tempted too. What was it like on the motorway?

I think it was a 1.5 diesel or something similar. Not very powerful but enough round town and sat happily at 70 on the motorway.

Tom B

Guru
What sort of MPG is the team getting from Doblo/Combo/Tranny Connect/Caddy type devices.

I used to have an LPG/Petrol Combo Van and ended up getting rid of it largely because of the poor MPG, and high tax.

Considering the future replacement for my estate car which is essentially a vehicle for moving 2 adults 2 kids and the camping stuff and a fraction too small. A crew cab CDV might be just the ticket

Emanresu

Practical or posing?

Buzz.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran

Deffo posing.

Is it a replacement due the transporter?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The 'vans' I'm looking at come in three dirty diesels and an electric. The electric does about 100 miles if lucky. Load it up with camping stuff/bikes and you are screwed.

Also, given the NEW premium over the dino juice version, a used ONE year old EV version is the same as a five year old diesel. That's some shocking depreciation.

I'll be looking at the Pug/Toyota/VX 2.0 diesel. They seem to be reliable (loads of them about), and the only issues I've heard about is the dreaded ad-blue that seams to affect most modern diesels - probably not helped by some people's maintenance and check routines - heard it's best keep the ad-blue topped up rather than let it slowly empty.

Top Bottom