The cycling equivalent of a marathon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Luckily for me I was told by my knee surgeon (about 15 years ago) that I should no longer consider running as a suitable recreation. Run for a bus? That's OK, but not for fun.

nickAKA

Über Member
I wonder what the results would be if the question was asked on a runners forum. Asking the runners in my office, they have all said they would prefer to run a marathon than a 100 mile bike ride, but they are occasional cyclists.

Polar opposite here but I've done 100 miles so I know what to expect...
I think the bit most occasional/new cyclists don't truly appreciate is it's not really your legs that are the problem, it's your backside. Most of the training is to acclimatise your butt.
Similarly with the marathon, only it's your feet.

presta

Guru
1581615917387.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
Not really on topic but I was a minor official at a hundred mile race at Crystal Palace track years and years ago. Jeez that was boring. I had to count the laps for "my guy". Fortunately "my guy" dropped out after a while (it seemed like a very long while) so I was released and went home. ISTR some Russian guy went on to break the record. I don't think any naps were taken.

Many years ago I did back up for Mrs Tenkay a couple of times at Tooting Beck. 24 hours running round a track. The lap recorders had to time and record each lap. They worked in shifts and each runner was introduced to the person who would be taking over their individual lap recording.
They did a remarkable job and there was a great camaraderie amongst both the competitors and the lap recorders.

The second time that Mrs Tenkay competed in the event it absolutely chucked it down for about 16 hours and I had my work cut out helping her change her wet kit, putting it on the radiators in the changing room and calling her back in for a fresh change once it had dried.

One incident sticks in my mind, just after midnight, perhaps attracted by the floodlights, a bloke appeared peering through the chain link fencing. He had been sleeping rough and had more than a few drinks under his belt. He asked what was going on and I explained that everyone was running round in circles for 24 Hours to see who could go the furthest. He thought about it for a while and then burst out laughing saying something to the effect that it was absolute lunacy and absolutely brilliant at the same time.

It did eventually stop raining and the race finished in Sunshine. Mrs Tenkay had managed to keep going and having covered more than 100 Miles is an "Imperial Centurion"

All uphill

Still rolling along
Polar opposite here but I've done 100 miles so I know what to expect...
I think the bit most occasional/new cyclists don't truly appreciate is it's not really your legs that are the problem, it's your backside. Most of the training is to acclimatise your butt.
Similarly with the marathon, only it's your feet.

For me the obstacle to longer distances is my mind, not my body. I get to the "what the hell am I doing this for?" stage long before my bum or legs complain.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I was surprised at how easily I injured.
Really? After years of lack of conditioning you dived straight in with long distances run quickly. I'd say it was a miracle you weren't more seriously injured. If you'd started with an eight-week couch to 5k programme, mixing running and walking you'd be laughing.

nickAKA

Über Member
On the very few sportives I’ve ever bothered with ( the first Velo Birmingham Midlands, and the PRLS 100 a few times) I’ve stopped at a Pret A Manger, and a pub. I do / did get some odd looks from people watching over the barriers, as I stopped, lock my bike to the bike racks outside and went in for a bite to eat and a drink / pint. I was told I “wasn’t taking it seriously” when I finished. You don’t say:laugh:

'Sportives' was probably a poor description by me but I'm with you here, on every long-ish distance organised ride I've ever done the busiest parts of the route were always the fuelling stations.
On the flip side, you see the RCC brigade 'racing' the Manchester - Blackpool bellowing "on your right" at folk wearing jeans & t-shirts who are just having a lovely day out as they bimble along on dusty sports direct mountain bikes.
I'm yet to reach the running nirvarna where I can stop & have a chat and a sandwich mid-route, I need to give trail running a try, that looks a bit more relaxed.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I wonder what the results would be if the question was asked on a runners forum. Asking the runners in my office, they have all said they would prefer to run a marathon than a 100 mile bike ride, but they are occasional cyclists.
This. The two activities are completely different with completely different impacts and demands on the body. Comparing them is like comparing apples and pears.

My personal data points are that cycling for half an hour results in me arriving at work without sweating and able to go straight into meetings, with a peak heart rate of less than 120. Running for half an hour sees my heart rate top out around 160 and results in me needing a shower and a lie down. Both are done at a pace which puts me in the bottom 10% or so of Garmin's population who undertake those activities.

Maybe we should look at the ironman distances.
2.4 swim
112 bike
Marathon

Assuming they have tried to make each section comparable in terms of effort etc, without giving an advantage to one specific discipline, then this would point to 112 miles being the equivalent.

My 2p is somewhere around this comparison but I'm not too fussed by 112 miles or 100 miles.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not really on topic but I was a minor official at a hundred mile race at Crystal Palace track years and years ago. Jeez that was boring. I had to count the laps for "my guy". Fortunately "my guy" dropped out after a while (it seemed like a very long while) so I was released and went home. ISTR some Russian guy went on to break the record. I don't think any naps were taken.

You must mean a 1000 miles or something. Why on earth would anyone need to nap in a 100 mile race?

Top Bottom