The "Cycling to Work from Home" Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Part of the reluctance to ride to school is because of the traffic chaos around the school at drop off time, which he finds quite intimidating. Today we went a bit earlier, and there were far fewer cars around school, so he was happier with the experience.

Bit late to this thread - but I used to cycle to work whenever I could

Mind you it took 10 minutes and was pan flat - the biggest hill was the ramp over the pavement outside the school car park!

When I say 'whenever I could' I used to wake up in the morning and decide if it was wet or not
Even a wet road would stop me.
No - it's not wimpy - the local golf club is being redone (for about 5 years now!!!!) and the road is always covered in mud. Hence if I rode into work when the road was wet I was left with mud splatters all over my work trousers.

And rain was a no-no as I had no way to dry off at work and changing would have been a problem.

SO - basically just when the roads were dry

Rain on the way home was fine - I can dry off at home!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
If I cycled to work it would be down two flights of stairs! I make up for it by cycling at every opportunity! 😁

Reactions: C R
Part of the reluctance to ride to school is because of the traffic chaos around the school at drop off time, which he finds quite intimidating. Today we went a bit earlier, and there were far fewer cars around school, so he was happier with the experience.
I use the same logic for commuting to work. waaaay fewer cars at 5am then there is later in the morning. plus I get to dock the bike & clean up, before anyone else arrives

did you follow him? did he arrive? did he text you? did you call the head master? are you picking him up? are you following him home? I'd be a wreck :cry:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Have you raised this with the head teacher?

An email / letter could go out to all parents.

”Children would like to be active and cycle to / from school. But the children are frightened because of the chaos created by parents driving around and parking near the school at pick up / drop off. I would be grateful if as many parents as possible (yes you) decided to avoid using their cars for getting their kids to / from school. Kids picks up lifelong habits early and one of being chauffeured about in cars is not one we want them to develop. Please assist in helping as many kids as possible get and stay active”

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I used to live in the New Forest (Holbury) and work in Lymington. It was 10miles each way across open heathland. Always a strong head/tailwind both ways, usually on fixed. I miss those days.

C R

Guru
did you follow him? did he arrive? did he text you? did you call the head master? are you picking him up? are you following him home? I'd be a wreck :cry:
We cycled together there, and then I cycled there again in the afternoon and cycled back together.

Now middle daughter and I cycled to her athletics practice, and I'm sitting here watching the practice and the both of us will cycle back when she finishes. Haven't done this much utility cycling for quite a while.

C R

Guru
Have you raised this with the head teacher?

An email / letter could go out to all parents.

”Children would like to be active and cycle to / from school. But the children are frightened because of the chaos created by parents driving around and parking near the school at pick up / drop off. I would be grateful if as many parents as possible (yes you) decided to avoid using their cars for getting their kids to / from school. Kids picks up lifelong habits early and one of being chauffeured about in cars is not one we want them to develop. Please assist in helping as many kids as possible get and stay active”
It's been a problem since we started at this school 12 years ago. Head teachers requests on this are just ignored, when not openly mocked on fb. There's a core of knuckle dragging parents that seem to take it as a badge of honour to be as obnoxious as possible during drop off and pick up. We only have three more weeks left at this school now, so not really bothered any more.

We cycled together there, and then I cycled there again in the afternoon and cycled back together.
Now middle daughter and I cycled to her athletics practice, and I'm sitting here watching the practice and the both of us will cycle back when she finishes. Haven't done this much utility cycling for quite a while.
I feel much better now, thank you. good Daddy!

• Laugh
Time for a feeling of Deja Vu! Got my first date to return to the office since about October(?) Boss has been great & we're starting with one day a week then taking it from there. I've been getting lazy with the afternoon "cycle home from work at home" so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Top Bottom