The "Cycling to Work from Home" Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Had to pick up a couple of small things from Screwfix, so thought I would go by bike at lunchtime. Good ride through quiet streets, but really cold, there was frost forming on my gloves!:eek:

Had to pick up a couple of small things from Screwfix, so thought I would go by bike at lunchtime. Good ride through quiet streets, but really cold, there was frost forming on my gloves!:eek:
wow that's super weird. it must have been a unique combination of humidity & cold. we've had "freezing fog" on some occasionas & I almost "bought the farm" driving too fast on a highway entrance ramp curve

united4ever

Über Member
Anyone kept up their mileage to a level close to their old commute. Permanent office closure impending for me so curious if this will be the beginning of a sharp decline in cycling for me. I can see me ducking out of the rainy days at least. I always liked the feeling that I was killing 2 birds with one stone I.e. getting my exercise and getting to work (and enjoying it to for a third purpose). Going to miss that feeling of utility. Might resolve never to drive anywhere less than 10 miles on my own or something. Would love to go carless but the wife and kids won't go for that.

Permanent office closure impending for me so curious if this will be the beginning of a sharp decline in cycling for me. I can see me ducking out of the rainy days at least.
yup, tuned into a fat old man riding in nice weather only. wishing you better! ;-)

:sad: Shoot, you will never replicate that necessity of needing to get to work even when it's raining I suppose no matter what tricks you try to motivate yourself.
yes, so I don't get my miles any more. but in the interest of full disclosure, I do have a twisted side that has me ride in blizzards & other winter storms. I clearly have a screw loose somewhere ... :wacko:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Convinced our son to cycle to school today. He is not a very confident rider (seems to run in the family, I couldn't even ride a bike at his age), but we went along a quiet country route and he actually enjoyed it. A bit over three miles for him, twice that for me before sitting at my desk, on my own, at home.
Well done. That is definitely a win in my book.

My son rides to school every day, but we have the advantage of not needing to go on roads to get there, other than minor ones. He generally does 3 miles or more, which requires a detour as school is less than a mile away, but it leaves me with a rather short trip home, so not much time at full pace.

I would take a longer route, but at that time in the morning I find I get back to messages and phone calls that need responses from people who aren't prepared for the 07:30 work prelude that fits in well with my schedule.

Reactions: C R
Convinced our son to cycle to school today. He is not a very confident rider (seems to run in the family, I couldn't even ride a bike at his age), but we went along a quiet country route and he actually enjoyed it. A bit over three miles for him, twice that for me before sitting at my desk, on my own, at home.
let us know how it goes! my parents just bought me a bike, didn't even show me how to ride it. my brother did. briefly. that same year, began riding to school in 6th grade. in 7th grade began cutting school & riding my bike to visit the zoo, Yonkers to the Bronx. I guess commuting was in my blood. just not to school. oops. might want to check with school to be sure a truant officer isn't required ;-) 👍

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom