The cyculator - by Cycle Republic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneArmedBandit

It's nicely designed and, even if not accurate, it's quite good to have an in your face saving of circa 75%. Cars are one of those insidious expenses - you don't actually need to stump up cash for each and every journey - and people are really bad at accurately estimating that sort of expenditure.

What I would love is if someone came up with a decent "starter" pack for commuting - solid bike, decent lights, lock, etc. for, say £250, so people had a tangible number and knew that the kit would be decent rather than the cheapest crap possible as seems to come with "included" accessories.

I think it would be really good sell to people wanting to start rather than suddenly having to navigate thousands of different options.

I'm not sure where its coming from with the calculation of PT costs. If I was to take the bus for every day for 50weeks and not buy a season ticket it'd only be £1,750, the site calculates £3,216. Its a bit generous with the car too, there's no way you could drive into central Cambridge (even assuming you had a parking space) in 45mins. It quotes 51mins for the bus and 73mins for a bike. I usually take about the bus time.

si_c

Guru
Not entirely sure where it gets it's calculations from. For me it reckons an hour commute (actual 35-40mins), and £2300 public transport cost (45 mins estimated - actual 30), which is actually closer to £1400 with a season ticket.

Not especially useful. Pretty pictures though.

Top Bottom