The cyculator - by Cycle Republic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Nice calculator that.

There are some exceptions on my route though - the public transport is way out

Thanks to the poor local infrastructure around here, I would have to take two busses to get to work

It would actually be quicker to walk :laugh:

According to the calculator it costs me £349 to commute by bicycle per year, but they don't explain how they reach that calculation which is disappointing. My capital investment in bikes, parts and clothing is >£3,500 over 4 years, but that will fall as I won't be buying any more N+1s... for now.

Sixmile

Veteran
According to the calculator it costs me £349 to commute by bicycle per year, but they don't explain how they reach that calculation which is disappointing. My capital investment in bikes, parts and clothing is >£3,500 over 4 years, but that will fall as I won't be buying any more N+1s... for now.

I'm not convinced by the calculations either. It all seems very random. It obviously doesn't take into account that we (ok some) who commute become mildly obsessed, with an extensive range of weather dependant clothing, shoes, lights, not to mention bikes. I've spent £4500 over 4 years (inc. anything bike related i.e. kids bikes, sportives and maybe even stuff I've since returned), I've commuted 2.5 of those years but like you, my expenditure has been dropping now that I've got everything I need for every season.

k_green

Yeah, it's a bit random! Says my train costs £3,000 when it was actually less than £900. Says driving would take 67 when it's really near 90-120 whereas biking is currently 90 rather than the 120 it suggests (working on getting that down to 75!). A well, all a bit of fun! But would be interesting to see what it's based on.

Lonestar

Veteran
1) 48 Mins by bike
2) 38 Mins by Public Transport ????
3) 61 Mins by car

One is roughly right...Two is a joke and Three is probably right.Depends on time of day I guess.
Some of us do shiftwork and weekends so I guess this is based on the 9-5 lot.

My routes vary depending on time of day so my times vary also.Longer/Shorter routes.
No way would public transport take 38 mins.
By tube I'm 15 mins from the station and by bus would take an app (I know there is one) for me to get a bus instead of waiting around forever for one to turn up.

rgwc8w.jpg

Public Transport would cost me near £0 as I have a railway residential pass on the basis I've worked on the railway nearly 40 years.I rarely use it now.So public transport costs would be near £0....A car is also £0 as I don't own one.(and never have)

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It does seem to be a blunt calculator as the public transport option appears to be from the town from which I live 6 miles distant, with extremely limited public transport options to get there.

In reality, I think I save £7 - £10 per day before bike costs and the extra food I seem to need ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I think it assumes I don't try and get the Heathrow, via the M25, in the rush hour as it's way quicker by bike than it is car. I ignore the bike cost as I would have bought it anyway, so I reckon is diesel alone I save £1200 a year. Add that to the free bike parking when I ride into town 1 or 2 times a week and I'm quids in. Which I spend on more bikes.....

Top Bottom