The daily fight with my door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Move house.
That could be tricky, houses don't move easily.

classic33

Leg End Member
That could be tricky, houses don't move easily.
Might be easier than repeated problems with the doors.

Zip Tie, crossed over between the arms of the door closing mechanism. Keeps it in position when one end is removed/undone on the wall/door.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
A wooden pole of the correct length which can be wedged into position between the two doors when they are open. When not in use the pole may be stored upright in the hallway.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Self closing mechanisms may well be prone to breakdown, particularly if given attention by a well meaning tenant handy with a screwdriver (learning from, their bike fettling experience, just for example). Perhaps the arm might become detached from the wall in certain circumstances.

Reporting of a broken mechanism may well slip the mind of even the most well meaning of tenants, who might well be able to fix it themselves anyway before ultimately leaving the property.

In such circumstances, a landlord might never be aware that the status of their door had ever been anything other than self-closing.
Not the best idea as those very expensive door closers are hard to get right when new . Messing with one thats already set to close the door by a carpenter may cost you a few hundred quid to reset or renew . A few door wedges are a far better idea :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Disagree here. The two screws are there to adjust the damping on the spring. How many flat residents live in unnecessary misery caused by slamming doors when the manufacturer makes them so easy to adjust?

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Brompton.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Disagree here. The two screws are there to adjust the damping on the spring. How many people live in flats in misery caused by slamming doors when the manufacturer makes them so easy to adjust?
They are fitted to close the fire doors . You could always wait five seconds and then quietly close the door yourself . Just a crazy idea that popped into my head :blink:

The main door opens to the left. The metal screen door opens to the right. Both have mechanisms that make them self-closing (it’s a rental so I can’t change this.) Every day taking the bike out involves carefully switching sides around the bike to get the next door open and doing some contortion to make sure a door doesn’t slam on the bike, and 2 days a week a door slams my calf or ankle on the way in. I feel like doors are the biggest barrier to bike commuting.
Think of the positive, its awkward for some little score too so they are leaving your bike alone :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
They are fitted to close the fire doors . You could always wait five seconds and then quietly close the door yourself . Just a crazy idea that popped into my head :blink:

Nice idea and I would of course, but you're endowing fellow citizens with brainpower and an ability to consider others that they simply don't possess. I always say that a mark of intelligence is the ability to foresee the consequences of one's actions.

Tom B

Guru
Would a little hold back hook help?

I have a self close on my garden gate which conflicts with my shed door* and have a hook to hold back the gate.

Seen here

Attachments

• DSC_4360.JPG
    DSC_4360.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom