The Damned Utd...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fantastic bio-pic with the emphasis on fantastic as in unicorns. A bio-pic except for all the errors, omissions, exaggerations and concatenations. The book, which had to be re-written in response to a libel action, by Johnny Giles iirc, is a work of fiction, as is the film. Both hugely entertaining but biography they ain't.

and no the trojans did not escape through a tunnel

and no the americans did not capture a naval enigma machine

etc.,

etc..

mangaman

[QUOTE 1134268"]
It's a myth making exercise and as such is fine.

The flawed hero? Tick - in Clough.

Doomed love story? Tick - In Clough and Taylor.

The primitive bestial enemies? Tick - in the Leeds squad.

The arch-nemesis? Tick - in Revie.

The odyssey? Tick - in the journey from Middlesborough to Notts F via Brighton.

David vs Goliath? Tick - in Clough vs everybody else.

The ancestral legacy? Tick - in the torch passed to N Clough.

The baying, praising, watching crowd? Tick - in the terraces.

A kernal of truth? Tick - in the docu-drama feel and the real interviews.

Poetry is needed to bring the facts to life and emotion. Otherwise it's just a straight narration of facts and figures in a linear form but still with your own personal twist.
[/quote]

I don't know if you mean the book or the film - COG.

The film I haven't seen, but the book is excellant. It surprised me by it's quality in fact. Poetry - as you say, is what brings facts to an independent life and great prose can do the same.

I certainly felt the book did that.

mangaman

[QUOTE 1134270"]
Just finished the book.

Didn't want to finish it. First time I'd read Peace and after a few pages realised that I agree he is the best (nationally) English writer. Book even better than the film! I like that finding beauty in unglamorous drabness, treating working-life with unpatronising classical seriousness, and the emotional intelligence in getting to Clough's innermost.

Like Paul Abbott without the gimmicks.
[/quote]

Hi COG.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

It just shows - films are OK but the book is always better. :thumbsup:

I found the book a bit of a struggle. It is brilliantly written, but the sheer nastiness and aggressiveness meant it was not at all enjoyable for me.

I suspect none of us ill ever know the true story, but fair play to the author for igniting the flame of debate.

mangaman

I found the book a bit of a struggle. It is brilliantly written, but the sheer nastiness and aggressiveness meant it was not at all enjoyable for me.

I suspect none of us ill ever know the true story, but fair play to the author for igniting the flame of debate.

I found Clough in the book - and his family - surprisingly endearing.

The aggression / nastiness of the Revie era Leeds is a questionable point, but probably not far off the mark.

As you say, I found the book interesting and a great read - maybe it posed more questions than it answered....

I guess we'll never know.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I really enjoyed the film, although I'm sure it's pretty much fictionalised. It has a good score too.

I don't think Brando could have played Revie better than Colm Meaney.

ASC1951

Guru
The aggression / nastiness of the Revie era Leeds is a questionable point, but probably not far off the mark.
We were blessed with Allan Clarke at Walsall in his early career. Too skinny to Bite Yer Legs, but he was he was a sly, vicious little sod who fitted right in at Revie's Leeds.

Top Bottom