The Damned Utd...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
It was a lot better that i'd thought it would be. Martin sheen was a scary lookalike in certain scenes.

PaulB

Legendary Member
You should read the book. There's some elements of it remaining in the film but David Peace's writing style is impressively 'different' and well worth reading.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[QUOTE 1134251"]
Good movie that. Bit short, though.

"Brighton? It's full of soft southerners, tories and the blue rinsed brigade living in retirement homes!"

How times have changed.
[/quote]

You called?:whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1134251"]

How times have changed.
[/quote]

No kidding. I especially liked the outrage of the Leeds board at his outrageous severance terms - £25,000 & a Mercedes. What were they talking about for Fabio? £10 million was it?

bauldbairn

[QUOTE 1134251"]
Good movie that. Bit short, though.[/quote]

+1, :thumbsup:

I was waiting for the Nottingham Forest bit as that's the Clough I remembered!!!! :sad:

It's true what it said at the end though - "the best manager England(national team) never had." He would have ruffled too many feathers in the FA?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You should read the book. There's some elements of it remaining in the film but David Peace's writing style is impressively 'different' and well worth reading.

You're not wrong. I'd say he's the best writer currently writing in English.He's now living in Japan and has almost finished his Tokyo Trilogy, the first two books of which (Tokyo Year Zero and Occupied City) were just brilliant, although the second one took a while for me to get into its style...

Fanastic bio-pic. I have never been that into football, but over the last 40 years things rub off, especially living in Notts for the last 15.
The film did a very positive job of relaying the best of Cloughie and what he was most famous for. From what I have been told, the book is a lot darker and has a lot more of the later years of his career, good and bad.

I want to read it now. Martin Sheen was great...in every film I have seen him in tbh.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's on iPlayer if anyone in the UK missed it.

U

User169

I believe Michael Sheen was the actor playing Cloughie, although doubtless Martin would have done a similarly excellent job, with Brando playing Revie presumably.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Great film, I really enjoyed it.

Not sure about Clough though. A great manager who got unfashionable teams to over-achieve, but whether his bullying tactics would have worked with top players (they didn't at leeds) is another question. "The greatest manager England never had" is a bit of unproven self publicity. His judgement was fairly average at best without Taylor behind him.

ASC1951

Guru
I believe Michael Sheen was the actor playing Cloughie, although doubtless Martin would have done a similarly excellent job, with Brando playing Revie presumably.

Michael Sheen is a proper British character actor, something the Hollywood system cannot produce. He was equally convincing as Brian Clough, Tony Blair and Kenneth Williams - three very different faces and voices - particularly when his normal speaking voice is quite a strong South Welsh accent.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Michael Sheen is a proper British character actor, something the Hollywood system cannot produce. He was equally convincing as Brian Clough, Tony Blair and Kenneth Williams - three very different faces and voices - particularly when his normal speaking voice is quite a strong South Welsh accent.

He looked very like David Frost when he played him, too.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Be fair - it's hardly surprising Hollywood can't produce great British character actors - it's in America. Love the idea of Brando as Don Revie.  :biggrin:

Top Bottom