The day after a long ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
For the last few weeks I havent been able to get out for a decent ride, just the odd 5-10 milers. Anyway, Friday just gone I had free time, the sun was out so I did a 32 miler along the canal paths.

The ride was nothing too energetic, the first 20 miles were nice and easy with no targets for speed, but the return leg of 12 miles from the Malthouse (by the gas stret basin) to where the canal ends near me (By the Showcase cinema near M6 junction 10) was planned to be done in 1 hour - actually took 1.05 - I was pushing faster but never too much and could easily say thanks to people that let me passed (and sing when no one was about!)

The next day although there was some physical little aches, nothing painful and just enough to let me know I had done more than usual, mentally I felt knackerd! Is this normal?

EDIT: I know these distances and speeds are probably a warm up session to some of you, but to me its a long ride!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Paulkraken said:
The ride was nothing too energetic, the first 20 miles were nice and easy with no targets for speed, but the return leg of 12 miles from the Malthouse (by the gas stret basin) to where the canal ends near me (By the Showcase cinema near M6 junction 10) was planned to be done in 1 hour - actually took 1.05 - I was pushing faster but never too much and could easily say thanks to people that let me passed (and sing when no one was about!)

The next day although there was some physical little aches, nothing painful and just enough to let me know I had done more than usual, mentally I felt knackerd! Is this normal?

Clearly it was the singing that did you in ;)
Seriously, it is perfectly normal to be tired (physically & mentally) after a "more-than-usual" effort. Bodies are creatures of habit, but adapt to challenges when pushed a bit. Just give yourself time to recover before pushing again, and 30 miles will soon feel easy. Well done! :biggrin:

T

GrasB

Veteran
Sounds about right for a hardish ride, especially when you're pushing your mileage up. Give it time & your ability to go faster & further will improve.

joemaxi

I did a 32 mile ride last week and felt exactly the same. In fact, when I first started cycling to work, I felt like that after 4 miles!! But,as was said earlier, your body adapts and you get fitter and stronger!

It's 4.6 miles to my work and when I first started cycling it took me 30 minutes. I have to say that I'm a lorry driver and so sit on my fat ass all day eating yorkies and murdering pros....... Sorry, having a jeremy clarkson moment there!:laugh:

Now the trip takes me 14 minutes and I don't feel like I'm going to die when I get off the bike!!

It takes a while, but your fitness and stamina will improve.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
After a longer or harder than normal ride i also feel a bit washed out for a couple of days.Glad im not the only one.

Top Bottom