The day football died .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I was listening to the match reports most of sat afternoon.Headlines like ,greatest fight back .4-0 down and draw .Birthday boy hatrick .Most goals scored .Another hatrick .
So i looked forward to sat nights MOTD .Well what a flop .What did i see and hear .Moaning ,whinging Prem League managers ,rubbish refs and decisions.Cheating footballers,simulations ,pushovers .The 'hard' men of football falling over at the slightest touch .God hard men Hunter,Harris,Mackay,Souness Tommy Smith .They would have eaten these namby pambies ..And Ref tell me when it's ok to grab a goalkeeper around the head .Lets try to score with our hands ,Mr Scholes .And finally these love birds who are mostly defenders who cannot keep their hands off their opponents bodies .It's football girls not Rugby .Well after watching footie since i was twelve .Thats me finished .I don't care anymore .These overpaid braindead 'stars' have ruined the glorious game .With their greed .England squad announced .Yeah like i care .The World Cup crap springs to mind .
A tip to all you footie fans save your £80-£100 per game for ten weeks .And buy a bike .Get out on a saturday,into the countryside .Meet some other sports people drop in at a local cafe .Meet fitter healthier mates .
Yesterday footie and me finished .Overpaid ,underworked under achieving and overhere some of them .

It was so much different 6th Feb 1958 .Rip Busby Babes .Real footballers .

Fair comment to respect the air crash postie,agreed. But, and this is a gentle but...I live opposite a pub. Usually, there are enclaves of Chelsea supposters gathered prior to departing for the game. This afternoon it is like first day at the sales - people flocking in the doors...I can only think that Chelsea are kicking off at 5 this afternoon - probably the crowds because of the transfer fuss during the week. The action has filtered down to the 'masses' and now they can participate, cheer, rant and discuss - which is great for the pub proprietor.

My prediction: Torres sp? off with a thigh strain after 36 minutes :rofl:

It's only a game.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't normally poke my nose into football threads, as it entirely fails to interest me. But I heard an interesting thing on Broadcasting House this morning, comparing the British football championships and the US superbowl. Apparently, while the clubs in Britain fight for every penny from merchandising etc, and the big clubs get bigger and bigger, and the little ones struggle, in the superbowl, all income from merchandising, TV right and TV advertising is shared equally between all clubs - a rather 'communist' system for the capitalist rulers of the world....

Dunno if that's relevant - I'm sure American football has it's share of prima donnas, but it seemed a very fair way to ensure good competition.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I stopped watching it around a year ago. They are far to overpaid, and getting fleeced by $ky to watch it was getting on my wick, and having to listen to that annoying big gob Andy Gray commentating, berating refs all the time made it worse (thankfully he has gone now). And listening to the likes of Sir :rolleyes: Alex Ferguson talking utter drivel when his team got beat etc. Then there is the predictability of the premier league in the way that the 2 teams that splash the most cash will nearly always win it. Would love to see Arsenal win it this year for that main reason. Still when I had a look at the results on teletext yesterday I could not help a little inner smile at seeing the Wolves - Manure result :laugh:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Blame Sky Tv - overpaid - over inflated ego's & wages, massive debts, no chance for 'little clubs' anymore, let alone what it is doing to our young internationals ...

I don't think you are alone, but for me real passion for the game ended with the Premiership and the constant mucking about with the Football League divisions (names, two up then, three up etc) How future generations are supposed to work out what went on I've no idea. But it was the money and the greed that did it for me, making celebrities out of non-entities. I honestly feel that (with some honourable exceptions) stating 'professional footballer' as your profession should mark you out as a social outcast. I know it's a cliche, but really, what would the likes of Matthews, Drake, Dean, Meredith, Carter and Edwards have made of it all, and what would they have been worth? I haven't attended a match in years and cannot recall the last occasion I saw a live match on TV.

Bill

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't normally poke my nose into football threads, as it entirely fails to interest me. But I heard an interesting thing on Broadcasting House this morning, comparing the British football championships and the US superbowl. Apparently, while the clubs in Britain fight for every penny from merchandising etc, and the big clubs get bigger and bigger, and the little ones struggle, in the superbowl, all income from merchandising, TV right and TV advertising is shared equally between all clubs - a rather 'communist' system for the capitalist rulers of the world....

Dunno if that's relevant - I'm sure American football has it's share of prima donnas, but it seemed a very fair way to ensure good competition.
it's even more egalitarian than that Arch. They have a system called the 'draft' in which the big teams get to pick college footballers, taking it in turns. The bottom team gets to pick first.

On the other hand......American Football is a cruel business. The average professional player lasts three and a half years in the game, and takes five years to recover from his injuries.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't normally poke my nose into football threads, as it entirely fails to interest me.

Veg Football is dead?? Thank GOD for THAT!!:evil:
Growing up with all the R*ngers - C*ltic shite, I would be deleriously happy if I NEVER hear about the bloody game ever again.

To be fair though, the actual game itself is ok, in terms of keeping fit, etc, but it is just the crap that goes with it I detest.

TVC

50 people work with me, every Monday it's "we played well on Saturday"... we? You're talking about Chelsea and I know for certain you weren't on the pitch.

Every week it's all bickering and name calling about each other's teams. Fine except our factory is only one mile from the Walkers stadium, and guess how many of my 50 colleagues go to see Leicester play?.. You only need one guess.

Soccer isn't sport, it's business, and didn't we all get a bit humpy with the banks for over inflating their worth, bending the rules and fleecing the simple man?

Not realy interested in the game, much rather follow the oval ball, but what does get my goat is the number of foreign players proliferating the domestic game these days. What ever happened to players with names like Arkwright and Entwistle and other fine anglo-saxon names.

asterix

Comrade Member
May I point out that it's 'Entwistle' the 'h' is not only silent but totally absent. (Used to work with an Entwistle who got very upset if someone spelt his name with an 'h'. It is also probably Norman.

Other than that I do so agree about there being too many overseas players in UK teams or to put it another way not enough home-grown talent.

May I point out that it's 'Entwistle' the 'h' is not only silent but totally absent. (Used to work with an Entwistle who got very upset if someone spelt his name with an 'h'. It is also probably Norman.

Whilst the 'h' is absent in most forms of the name, there are always exceptions, so don't be sorry, HG!

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Countrywide+Entwhistle+Green/0026317315103269500/companyinfo.html

Just google the name with the 'h' and see for yourself.

:blush: Sorry I didnt even notice I had put it in. I will remove it forthwith.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
50 people work with me, every Monday it's "we played well on Saturday"... we? You're talking about Chelsea and I know for certain you weren't on the pitch.

Every week it's all bickering and name calling about each other's teams. Fine except our factory is only one mile from the Walkers stadium, and guess how many of my 50 colleagues go to see Leicester play?.. You only need one guess.

Soccer isn't sport, it's business, and didn't we all get a bit humpy with the banks for over inflating their worth, bending the rules and fleecing the simple man?
Unlike pro cycling, eh?

Top Bottom