The E-bike is a Monstrosity - article in The Atlantic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
History repeating itself.

Mopeds were associated with bikes. The weekly cycling mag was actually called "Cycling and Mopeds".
Mopeds diverged away from bicycles and the mag returned to being Cycling Weekly.

Time well tell if ebikes will still be grouped with bicycles in the future.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
But...an ebike isn't a useless bike, or a poor attempt at a motorbike. It's a different thing, a transport solution in its own right. I used one regularly for commuting, so I could ride in civvies and not get sweaty. Worked perfectly for that, and it was faster than the bus and way cheaper and more fun than driving.

The author has decided to conflate the issue and paint the regular cyclist as the villain.

E-bikes that have become popular across age groups and serves many needs. Commuters switching from motorised vehicles to cheaper e-bikes. food couriers and neighbour hood thugs peddling drugs. E-bikes are everywhere, along pedestrian path, high speeds with no clear rules and regulations in place.

A wonderful innovation that has been misused by some. Highlight the concerns and fix the misuse. Instead scapegoating is much faster and easier than a carefully researched article.

Last edited:
Yup as said above - people take a few examples and chuck all bike or ebike in the same pot

so they see a few deliver people whizzing around on illegal ebike and claim that all ebike whizz around at silly speeds, jump red lights and whatever
they probably don;t even spot most legal ebikes - or know the difference

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
american article so there e bikes are not as restricted as over here but otherwise it could be a fluff piece for the daily fail

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
IIRC US ebikes are 20mph max, 750W (!!) max power. NZ are 300W max power, no specific speed limit other than the speed limit of whatever road you're cycling on, and bike helmets are compulsory.

Strange article where the writer seems more concerned with what others think about him riding an ebike rather than its usefulness. This type of personality is I'm sure much appreciated by marketing people who can manipulate people into being ultra-concerned about their own image and having the right brand product. I personally don't think it matters how people perceive an ebike its just whether it serves a purpose for you and if you enjoy it. You could call any 2 wheel vehicle like a moped or normal bicycle a pathetic motorbike I guess not just ebikes.

gbb

Legendary Member
Strange article where the writer seems more concerned with what others think about him riding an ebike rather than its usefulness. This type of personality is I'm sure much appreciated by marketing people who can manipulate people into being ultra-concerned about their own image and having the right brand product. I personally don't think it matters how people perceive an ebike its just whether it serves a purpose for you and if you enjoy it. You could call any 2 wheel vehicle like a moped or normal bicycle a pathetic motorbike I guess not just ebikes.

Exactly. My opening thoughts were...this guy is too concerned with what other people think and how they 'supposedly' perceived him.
Its quite simple. Can you afford one, do you want / need one, will it fit those needs? That's all anyone needs to consider.

Top Bottom