The E-bike is a Monstrosity - article in The Atlantic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Throttle only is 20 mph max, peddle assist is 28 max, but there are much faster bikes and scooters than that on the road

You can still use a throttle above 20mph its just the ebike can only be exclusively powered by the motor up to 20mph. You can still use the throttle to vary motor power above 20mph as long as you are pedaling.

icowden

Veteran
What an odd article. I find that it was a lot of words saying very little. My take away from the article is that the author has an e-bike, doesn't quite know how to use it properly and feels that they don't act as a status symbol.

That's it. NO conclusions drawn at all.

Tom B

Guru
lost me at lycra clad dangerous to pedestrians

Yesterday I set off to work a danger to pedestrians. Having left my lycra at work and returned home in denim shorts I think I became a better person, but the same time filled with "jerkiness" and "twee". I suspect on Friday I'll return to work a twee jerk and return home as a pedestrian endangerer, luckily that'll be in the early hours so the number of flattened Bert and Ada's should be limited.

The article reads to me as the inner turmoil of a secret cyclists wedded to his car and a wanna be bloggist.

It's just electronic toilet paper.

One of my main issues with ebikes is the bloody name. Email works, ebike doesn't for me. Hybrid, no (that's a sort of flat bar road bike) I just can't settle ona good name.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not so disapproving of the article as others. Yes, it is all about image and perception, not practicality. But, like it or not, people in general are extremely concerned with image and perception. All of us are, as much as we'd like to deny it. If your response is "oh but it doesn't bother me what other people think" you're probably carefully building a self-image of some kind of maverick.

And the long term uptake of e-bikes will be very dependent on this perception. If the general perception of ebikes is that they are for eccentric nerds then their broad public acceptance will suffer as a result. If they are considered cool urban transport they will be more accepted.

If the e-bike is to really take off then people are going to want a pigeon hole (or pigeon holes) to put it into. And at the moment it seems it's still up for grabs. So I don't think the article is complete cobblers. Although I found it hard to read as it's so waffly, and did skim a lot.

Top Bottom