The early season day races thread 2013 *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

The big jessies

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Vuelta Ciclista a Murcia did go ahead this weekend - albeit reduced to a day race this year - it was won by Daniel Navarro over Bauke Mollema and Alejandro Valverde. I'm always pleased to see Valverde get beaten...

Noodley

Mollema might be an outside bet for a podium finish on one of the Classics this year. He was disappointing last year IMO after a good start to the season. Maybe there was something wrong with him?

The Couch

Über Member
He was indeed good in the "Ardennes Classics" (Amstel, Fleche Wallon, LBL), he got all top 10 places I think.
But the nasty fall he (and actually almost all of Rabobank) took in the Tour de France probably had something to do with it :smile:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Strade Bianche this weekend, which is one of my favourite early season races. The line-up is perhaps a bit weaker than last year, but with it's short but very steep finish into Siena, it's one for those who can produce that combination of explosive climbing and sprinting - Gilbert and Boonen for example, neither of whom are doing it this year. However, Peter Sagan is, and there are other more conventional climbers who might have a go like Cadel Evans. But in terms of form teams, it's hard to see beyond Blanco, who have three contenders IMHO in young Slagter, Lars Boom and I think the dark horse for this race, Lars-Petter Nordhuag, who hasn't shown much this season, but is the ideal kind of rider for this finish. Of others, Pozzato is also starting and he's clearly on form, as it will be interesting to see whether perenial classics contenders Flecha and Nuyens are back in bsuiness too. Gatto and Battaglin are outside choices too - the latter was being talked about last season as a major prospect, let's see if he can deliver. But if Nordbuag is fit, I'm going for him.

thom

____
Strade Bianche this weekend, which is one of my favourite early season races. The line-up is perhaps a bit weaker than last year, but with it's short but very steep finish into Siena, it's one for those who can produce that combination of explosive climbing and sprinting - Gilbert and Boonen for example, neither of whom are doing it this year. However, Peter Sagan is, and there are other more conventional climbers who might have a go like Cadel Evans. But in terms of form teams, it's hard to see beyond Blanco, who have three contenders IMHO in young Slagter, Lars Boom and I think the dark horse for this race, Lars-Petter Nordhuag, who hasn't shown much this season, but is the ideal kind of rider for this finish. Of others, Pozzato is also starting and he's clearly on form, as it will be interesting to see whether perenial classics contenders Flecha and Nuyens are back in bsuiness too. Gatto and Battaglin are outside choices too - the latter was being talked about last season as a major prospect, let's see if he can deliver. But if Nordbuag is fit, I'm going for him.
And the elephant in the room that is Cancellara...
Taylor Phinney is in good shape apparently. I don't see Sagan winning this one because while he can climb, there's a 16% section at the end that normally selects the winner and I suspect you need something more than he has shown so far but... you never know - he's a peculiar talent. Fabian will try to power away from everyone first though.

& here is a promo :

raindog

er.....
Yes - it were 'orrible.

Evans_vino1.jpg

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It was Le Samyn today - the top 3 wasTsatevich (Katusha), Boeckmans (Vacansoleil) and Petit (Cofidis), but there was also a great showing by Britain's Scott Thwaites riding for NetApp-Endura in seventh. He'll be pleased with that.

The Couch

Über Member
And the British supporters here will have liked the fact that Stannard and Thomas (who even tried a solo) had a go at it as well in GP Le Samyn. :smile:

Top Bottom