The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not traffic lights? Then, in your opinion, are cycles on cycleways and mixed-use paths not traffic?

Riding across a clear road is not jaywalking.

Surely it's not in anyone's interest to perpetuate the widespread idea that crossing a carriageway on red is forbidden?
Mjray, if you want to debate stuff like this, can you do it on another thread...perhaps start your own. All you will do here us confuse new riders who are seeking confidence from straight unambiguous answers to questions. This is not a thread for a debate. Please, try to look at the bigger picture here. If you want to add some information about navigating segregated cycleways, which is a topic not covered by the guide, then please supply some copy and I shall consider adding a section for it. Otherwise please don't turn an otherwise helpful and well received thread into something akin to the perennial helmet debate.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah. Naw. I'll just not bother telling anyone about another oversimplified-to-point-of-inaccuracy guide. I can understand you not wanting to put everything in it, but what is there should be correct.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mjray...and to any new visitors reading this disappointing turn in the thread...EVERYTHING in the guide is correct and was compiled in collaboration with many members of the cyclechat community.

This is the last time I shall ask you politely before involving moderators or shaun...Please stop trying to confuse new riders by making statements like this.

I am.sorry if you are upset that some of your comments will not be entered but I believe I have made it very clear as to why that is. Nearly 50,000 people have read this thread and so far, only you seem to have an issue with it.

I suggest you invest a couple of months of your own life to creating your own guide and put in it, whatever you wish.

Heigue'r

Veteran
That was a great read!very enjoyable and informative.Planning my first comute on the next tube strike.If it takes less than 8hrs for a 44 mile round trip,Im on to a winner.Thanks

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Dont know if its been mentioned yet but Cycling tights or inner liners are a man's best friend! I wear it them under my work clothes and they make my day a little less stressing. Not only do they make life more comfortable when you commute to and from work but while youre at work, they give your tackle/landing gear/whateveryouwannacallyourgonads some much needed support especially if youre packing some low hung fruit!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dont know if its been mentioned yet but Cycling tights or inner liners are a man's best friend! I wear it them under my work clothes and they make my day a little less stressing. Not only do they make life more comfortable when you commute to and from work but while youre at work, they give your tackle/landing gear/whateveryouwannacallyourgonads some much needed support especially if youre packing some low hung fruit!

Full set of change of clothes are the best option.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Eww - get the pants off. You are asking for something nasty
Depends if you ride hard enough to sweat but generally, yes, especially inside thermals.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Depends if you ride hard enough to sweat but generally, yes, especially inside thermals.

You will sweat. I get to work properly wet.

Change the pants. Get a cut/abrasion = infection. Blurgh.

Normally I take the train close enough to where my place of work is just a quick 15min sprint away. my inner shorts are washed after every other cycle if not after every cycle unless I didnt sweat buckets. Still asking for trouble???

JamesDawson

For me the main thing would be using slime inner tubes.. I was getting a puncture every 4-5 rides, about twice a month.. haven't had one in 2 years! They don't seem to weigh too much extra either..

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
dont know if this has been mentioned yet but perform a tyre inspection after or before every ride. A few nights ago i did my first ever one on my Duranos and i have literally picked out small but sharp stones and bits of glass that have become embedded in the tyres with a small screw driver. I have also noticed the odd small deep hole that has gone right into the blue puncture protection layer.

Needless to say, the tyres are still good but I cant help worrying about having to stop at the side of the road with a puncture - I always roll with one spare inner tube at least so if the inevitable happens then i wont be completely stranded.

Im a careful cyclist. If i see glass on the tarmac then i'll try to avoid cycling right over it. Puncture protection doesnt make tyres invincible.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It's a good idea to do it sometimes, plus whenever you see or feel something in the tyre, but what commuter makes time to do it every ride?

a tyre inspection is hardly going to take you more than an hour. come home, have a shower, put the kettle on and go get a bright torch and slowly rotate each wheel around once or twice under the light of the torch to make sure there are no small sharp foreign objects embedded in it. If there is then dig them out or super glue up small cracks. you'll be done before your water has even come to the boil.

Im getting into a habit of checking at least after ride home or every other day. Hardly a time consuming process as you make it out to be.

Top Bottom