1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The essential guide for new commuters

Discussion in 'Commuting and Utility Cycling' started by jonny jeez, 3 Jun 2010.

1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Sure. My source is basically http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/regulation/49/made "The red signal, whilst it is illuminated, shall indicate the period during which, in the interests of safety, pedestrians and pedal cyclists should not use the crossing" - my emphasis. If you can see it's safe to do so, I know of no offence committed by riding on the carriageway (or turning to/from it or whatever) - why would it be? Cycles may be ridden on it anyway.

It would be good to have the original file on the dropbox too, wouldn't it?

2. What you are talking about is crossing lights, not traffic lights. I'm not happy to create any confusion for cyclists about a simple rule, which is that cyclists should stop at red traffic lights....no discussion.

Whether we choose to jaywalk or not is a different, unrelated issue.

The guide is there to remove confusion and provide confidence. Discussing the different types of crossing lights that exist around the country will serve to do the opposite.

As for supplying the source document, well I think this post is a perfect example of why that would be a bad idea.

When people have suggestions I am happy to take the consensus and add or remove content but making it open source would be a disaster.

3. mjr

Not traffic lights? Then, in your opinion, are cycles on cycleways and mixed-use paths not traffic?

Riding across a clear road is not jaywalking.

Surely it's not in anyone's interest to perpetuate the widespread idea that crossing a carriageway on red is forbidden?

4. Mjray, if you want to debate stuff like this, can you do it on another thread...perhaps start your own. All you will do here us confuse new riders who are seeking confidence from straight unambiguous answers to questions. This is not a thread for a debate. Please, try to look at the bigger picture here. If you want to add some information about navigating segregated cycleways, which is a topic not covered by the guide, then please supply some copy and I shall consider adding a section for it. Otherwise please don't turn an otherwise helpful and well received thread into something akin to the perennial helmet debate.

ianrauk likes this.
  5. mjr

Yeah. Naw. I'll just not bother telling anyone about another oversimplified-to-point-of-inaccuracy guide. I can understand you not wanting to put everything in it, but what is there should be correct.

6. Mjray...and to any new visitors reading this disappointing turn in the thread...EVERYTHING in the guide is correct and was compiled in collaboration with many members of the cyclechat community.

This is the last time I shall ask you politely before involving moderators or shaun...Please stop trying to confuse new riders by making statements like this.

I am.sorry if you are upset that some of your comments will not be entered but I believe I have made it very clear as to why that is. Nearly 50,000 people have read this thread and so far, only you seem to have an issue with it.

I suggest you invest a couple of months of your own life to creating your own guide and put in it, whatever you wish.

martint235 and ianrauk like this.
  7. Heigue'r

Heigue'r Well-Known Member

That was a great read!very enjoyable and informative.Planning my first comute on the next tube strike.If it takes less than 8hrs for a 44 mile round trip,Im on to a winner.Thanks

jonny jeez likes this.
  8. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

Dont know if its been mentioned yet but Cycling tights or inner liners are a man's best friend! I wear it them under my work clothes and they make my day a little less stressing. Not only do they make life more comfortable when you commute to and from work but while youre at work, they give your tackle/landing gear/whateveryouwannacallyourgonads some much needed support especially if youre packing some low hung fruit!

9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

Full set of change of clothes are the best option.

10. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

Im too lazy, I keep my inner shorts on and now my leg warmers on. I take everything else off though as i have to wear a uniform (sadly)

If i means i can save a few mins getting in and out of work then so be it.

11. fossyant

Eww - get the pants off. You are asking for something nasty

12. mjr

Depends if you ride hard enough to sweat but generally, yes, especially inside thermals.

13. fossyant

You will sweat. I get to work properly wet.

Change the pants. Get a cut/abrasion = infection. Blurgh.

14. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

Normally I take the train close enough to where my place of work is just a quick 15min sprint away. my inner shorts are washed after every other cycle if not after every cycle unless I didnt sweat buckets. Still asking for trouble???

15. JamesDawson

JamesDawson New Member

For me the main thing would be using slime inner tubes.. I was getting a puncture every 4-5 rides, about twice a month.. haven't had one in 2 years! They don't seem to weigh too much extra either..