The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

Good work. I liked it.

One issue was the idea of looking back every twenty seconds. I don't know about anyone else but I tend not to do this unless I am moving to the right or turning right, otherwise you could be giving the impression that you are about to turn right; with or without hand signals.

If I was driving and saw a cyclist checking back so often I would start to drop back in anticipation of a right turn or filtering in. It would make me more nervous about an overtake, even if I could give a full car's width to do so, in case the cyclist side-swiped me.

I tend to use my ears for traffic behind unless I am about to merge with it or turn right.

Otherwise a great article for beginners and a good reminder for us veterans!

Just my twopenneth.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Zippy said:
Good work. I liked it.

One issue was the idea of looking back every twenty seconds. I don't know about anyone else but I tend not to do this unless I am moving to the right or turning right, otherwise you could be giving the impression that you are about to turn right; with or without hand signals.

If I was driving and saw a cyclist checking back so often I would start to drop back in anticipation of a right turn or filtering in. It would make me more nervous about an overtake, even if I could give a full car's width to do so, in case the cyclist side-swiped me.

I tend to use my ears for traffic behind unless I am about to merge with it or turn right.

This is one of the reasons that cyclists look back regularly! 20 secs is not that often, you could do it more...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Zippy said:
Good work. I liked it.

Just my twopenneth.

Thanks Zippy.

I do know what you mean.

I guess that's what the guide is for, to help new and exerienced riders share tips.

For my part I dont look back nearly enough, its a fault I am aware of and I am improving it (with good results). You'll notice that I phrased it "SOME people suggest once every 20 sec's"...it depends on your ride, but as this is a City Specific guide, I would suggest we leave it as is, after all, it doesent hurt to look back more often than not.

By the way, it only needs to be a glance at your right shoulder, not a look in the eye of the following vehicle. (which I agree could be confusing...although Origamist has a good point there)

I promise I wont debate every question raised...honest...its not my guide it "yours"

what do the others think of looking back?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
karan733 said:
I did notice an incomplete section during the first read, but when I just downloaded it to find out page numbers, its already been corrected!

Good work :sad:

to help you keep track, you can spot a "revision" reference in the bottom right hand corner along with an update date.

This should help a little.

dondare

Über Member
Useful advice. Should be in a book.
You've quoted me but in a slightly different context; when I said "When you're good enough" I was refering specifically to weaving as opposed to filtering.
So the passage was intended to mean don't weave until you become more experienced, as you can still make good time without. Thuswise:-

"Weaving:- Wait until you're good enough.
You can still make good time without all that lane-changing.
When filtering watch out for pedestrians crossing, traffic cutting across, other cyclists weaving, doors opening &c. &c. "

Jezston

Über Member
Great stuff! I'm going to forward this around the cyclists at work tomorrow morning (most of them have left already).

Couple of typos I noticed in the cycle to work scheme section:

Your company is then able to deduct the tax on the value of the bike
and “rent” the remaining amount to you in the fork of a regular salary​
sacrifice (ie at source of salary)

Guessing that should be 'form', not 'fork'!

or tax on the money taken at source from your salary (it is taken at gross not nett)​

I think it's just NET not nett.

thomas

the tank engine
Zippy said:
Good work. I liked it.

Just my twopenneth.

That's not a bad thing....also, what is behind you is just as important as what is in front off you when it comes to making decisions. It really depends on the type of road/riding. I wouldn't look back that often on a country lane, but on busy main roads I look around and about a lot.

NigC

Excellent work jonny. It's going to be a really useful guide for new and probably not-so-new cyclists ;)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the comments guys (and, of course, the praise, it was a real pleasure putting this together so I am glad you all seem to like the result)

Keep the comments coming and I will "update" the doc on Monday to include all recent revisions/comments. (dont worry DonDare, I'll change your bit then)

I've said it before, but please dont feel odd about pulling the guide apart, I am not at all precious about it; I just want it to be right, so that new riders get the best advise possible.

So...take a look and let me know if you want something phrased differently or if you just disagree with the way something is explained.

You guys are the experts, so I really appreciate your help in getting it right.

oh and proof reading is really appreciated, I seem incapable of checking my own writing for some reason??!

Thanks

Jonny

PS...the green text is a direct "Cut & paste" form the forum, so if you guys tripped up on the spelling and grammar there, then it will have repeated on the giude (although I did manage to correct some errors that I noted)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Blimey Jonny- this is great, not on home computer now to read it fully but great idea of getting this kind of thing up!

PBancroft

Very good work JJ. Please allow me to act as a pedant. I don't claim to be an authority on the topic of grammar so feel free to ignore any or all of my suggestions as you see fit.

Page 2:

Move the ellipsis from the start of "just like you." to the end of para three. An ellipsis should be just three dots.

This is personal preference but I would reword the final para to
The advice within this document will be constantly updated. If you want an updated version it can be downloaded from [...].

Page 3:

Change "Well simply put;" to "Well, simply put:" or even "Simply put:"

The "i" of "central traffic island" should not be capitalised.

Change "(to avoid the door zone and to ensure cars only pass you when it is safe, without putting you in the door zone)" to "(to ensure cars only pass you when it is safe, and to avoid entering the "door zone")"

Change "This states that you must stop at red lights, if you ignore this rule, do so at your own peril, can expect to antagonise other road users and attract the attention of the authorities (who are increasing their prosecution of cyclist who jump red lights)." to ", which states that you must stop at red lights. If you ignore this rule you do so at your own peril and can expect to antagonise other road users. You may also attract the attention of the authorities (who are increasing their prosecution of cyclist who jump red lights)."

Move "and is in advance [...] " above the images, or the rest of the para below them.

Page 4:

Change "You will put yourself at risk for no reason, it takes so long [...]" to "You will put yourself at risk for no reason. It takes so long [...]"

Change "as you are bound to meet" to "as you might meet"

Move section three slightly higher to allow for spacing above the para beginning "As a golden rule [...]"

Personal preference, but perhaps change "If it moves away and cuts the corner, you will be in huge danger ..." to "If it moves away and cuts the corner you will be in huge danger of death."

Page 5:

Move "(if you choose to)" to after "left hand side"

OK, I've run out of time now. I'll come back to the rest of the document later. Or, if I've got the above horribly wrong and someone point it out publicly I'll hide and sulk for a bit and return to the fora in a few weeks under an assumed identity.

One last thing. I'd be tempted to put the Cycle Chat URL on the front page, along with a download URL for the doc itself (perhaps Shaun can provide a simple address for it, such as http://www.cyclechat.net/beginners). With my configuration librarian hat on, it might also be nice to have historical versions of the document available as well, with a log of changes (not necessarily for the public, but for theoretical future editors).

Top Bottom