The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
dondare said:
"Weaving:- Wait until you're good enough.
You can still make good time without all that lane-changing.
When filtering watch out for pedestrians crossing, traffic cutting across, other cyclists weaving, doors opening &c. &c. "

Done Don

Kaipaith said:
.Page 2:

Move the ellipsis from the start of "just like you." to the end of para three. An ellipsis should be just three dots.

Done, Thanks...the things I learn on this forum!

This is personal preference but I would reword the final para to

Page 3:

Change "Well simply put;" to "Well, simply put:" or even "Simply put:"

Done (with the comma option)

The "i" of "central traffic island" should not be capitalised.

Thanks, well spotted

Change "(to avoid the door zone and to ensure cars only pass you when it is safe, without putting you in the door zone)" to "(to ensure cars only pass you when it is safe, and to avoid entering the "door zone")"

Done

Change "This states that you must stop at red lights, if you ignore this rule, do so at your own peril, can expect to antagonise other road users and attract the attention of the authorities (who are increasing their prosecution of cyclist who jump red lights)." to ", which states that you must stop at red lights. If you ignore this rule you do so at your own peril and can expect to antagonise other road users. You may also attract the attention of the authorities (who are increasing their prosecution of cyclist who jump red lights)."

Done

Move "and is in advance [...] " above the images, or the rest of the para below them.

Done, much smarter

Page 4:

Change "You will put yourself at risk for no reason, it takes so long [...]" to "You will put yourself at risk for no reason. It takes so long [...]"

Done

Change "as you are bound to meet" to "as you might meet"

I preferred the message that you WILL meet them as apposed might, so I have suggested a compromise on this point

Move section three slightly higher to allow for spacing above the para beginning "As a golden rule [...]"

Done, looks much better

Personal preference, but perhaps change "If it moves away and cuts the corner, you will be in huge danger ..." to "If it moves away and cuts the corner you will be in huge danger of death."

I totally agree with the meseage you want to put across here (which i left off entirely) but have softened the delivery by adding some additional words

What do you think....is my compromise too soft?

Page 5:

Move "(if you choose to)" to after "left hand side"

Done

OK, I've run out of time now. I'll come back to the rest of the document later. Or, if I've got the above horribly wrong and someone point it out publicly I'll hide and sulk for a bit and return to the fora in a few weeks under an assumed identity.

One last thing. I'd be tempted to put the Cycle Chat URL on the front page, along with a download URL for the doc itself (perhaps Shaun can provide a simple address for it, such as http://www.cyclechat.net/beginners). With my configuration librarian hat on, it might also be nice to have historical versions of the document available as well, with a log of changes (not necessarily for the public, but for theoretical future editors).

Will add a c.c url, thats a good point as people may source the doc from friends etc and have no reference to its origins...but putting a dowlnoad url on the doc confuses me, surely if you are reading it, you have downloaded it or have a pdf copy of it. Am I missing some thing here?

Thanks for your effort and time on this Kaipaith, let me know what you think of my "compromises"...hope I didnt miss anything

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
Great stuff! I'm going to forward this around the cyclists at work tomorrow morning (most of them have left already).

Couple of typos I noticed in the cycle to work scheme section:

Your company is then able to deduct the tax on the value of the bike
and “rent” the remaining amount to you in the fork of a regular salary

sacrifice (ie at source of salary)

Guessing that should be 'form', not 'fork'!

or tax on the money taken at source from your salary (it is taken at gross not nett)

I think it's just NET not nett.

Done, thanks

Origamist

Legendary Member
A couple more fixes from Chapter 8:

Generally, use the opposing lane when overtaking. If there is oncoming
traffic either don't filter and wait in line or filter closer to the same
direction traffic in your lane (but more circumspectly), or consider
undertaking. Para break needed.
With High-sided (no capital "H") vehicles - (lose the hyphen) be extra careful if you're going to filter beyond them as not only can you not see ahead of them, but they might not see you and can kill you at crawling pace...Better to stay behind them in a position that they can see you in their mirrors - do not go on their left.​

To:

Generally, use the opposing lane when overtaking. If there is oncoming
traffic either don't filter and wait in line or filter closer to the same
direction traffic in your lane (but more circumspectly), or consider
undertaking.

With high-sided vehicles be extra careful if you're going to filter beyond them as not only can you not see ahead of them, but they might not see you and can kill you at crawling pace...Better to stay behind them in a position that they can see you in their mirrors - do not go on their left.​

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
thomas said:
Not read it all, but what I did read looks great ;)

Perhaps a mention of different road types. For instance, if I was on a duel carriageway I would always hold primary in the inside lane to encourage motorists to overtake in the outside lane, and to stop people squeezing past in the inside lane (while undertaking someone in the outside lane).

Some roads, especially in London seem to have up to 5 lanes going the same way, which even I would find quite daunting so maybe something on how best to go about it. Probably, know where you're going and allow plenty of time to get in the lane.

Sorry Thomas, managed to miss this one.

Fair point, but it will mean sacraficing a section (to keep it to 20)...I guess we need a referendum on this one...any thoughts anyone?

PBancroft

jonny jeez said:
Thanks for your effort and time on this Kaipaith, let me know what you think of my "compromises"...hope I didnt miss anything

Compromise away, I'm only making suggestions.. although I haven't yet looked to see what yours were. Is it just me or has the download link disappeared? Whatever the reason I'll look through the rest of the doc later this week or next weekend with my pedant hat on again.

As for links. If you put a download URL on the document itself, it directs people to where they can find an updated copy and to anyone else who happens to see one where they can download their own copy from.

ALSO if it happens to get mirrored anywhere, people know where the original can be found.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
@ Kaipaith

"Is it just me or has the download link disappeared?"

Hopefully just you, it was probably being updated when you last looked.

Should be fine now

"As for links. If you put a download URL on the document itself, it directs people to where they can find an updated copy and to anyone else who happens to see one where they can download their own copy from.
ALSO if it happens to get mirrored anywhere, people know where the original can be found."

See, I knew I was missing something, good idea

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
Jonny, do you think a glossary with cycling (and forum) terms would be a useful addition?

yes I do, hopefull everyone else agrees?

Perhaps for now, I should just add a link to the glossarys page of this forum (rather than dedicate a whole section to it)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ive added a section of useful links and included a link to the "Glossary" in there.

also, I have added a couple of other links such as you-tube channels and camera advice/debate.

if anyone can think of other useful links (I was considering "Fill that Hole" and the reporting smidsys site...but i cant find the web addresses for either)

then let me know.

thanks

lanternerouge

Veteran
What a great piece of work, well done! A couple of apostrophes to correct on P3:

"You are a vehicle on the Queens highway" - should be "You are a vehicle on the Queen's highway" (apostrophe denoting possession)

and

"It is provided ONLY for cyclist’s" should be "It is provided ONLY for cyclists " (no apostrophe here for a plural).

Cheers

Lanternerouge

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
lanternerouge said:
What a great piece of work, well done! A couple of apostrophes to correct on P3:

"You are a vehicle on the Queens highway" - should be "You are a vehicle on the Queen's highway" (apostrophe denoting possession)

and

"It is provided ONLY for cyclist’s" should be "It is provided ONLY for cyclists " (no apostrophe here for a plural).

Cheers

Lanternerouge

Done, thanks

Top Bottom