The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnotherEye

I think a couple of things need adding to page 9 (I'm not an expert on this so you may need to get someone else to word them correctly):
* In the event of a collision: If you hit the ground only get up if you are sure that you have not broken anything (unless your position puts you in danger from traffic), otherwise stay still and ask someone to call the emergency services. When the paramedics arrive they will asses you carefully before they let you move.
* After a collision: Both parties have a legal duty to report the collision to the police within 24 hours, this is important as an injury may only develope some time later and you may need to seek compensation from the other party.

AnotherEye

I don't think this has been mentioned:
Never undertake (pass on the inside) another cyclist. Get behind the cyclist and overtake in the usual manner (look behind, signal and go when it is clear to do so). If the cyclist ahead is aware of you s/he may move over to let you pass.

I'm pretty sure you only need to report it to the Police if there has been an injury. Otherwise you report it to your insurance company (regarding car vs car).

As for car vs cyclist - the onus is on the car to report an incident. Though since both don't have a registration/insurance company I would recommend at least reporting it to the Police and suggesting to the driver to do so too.

I also like to remind the other party that they have to report it within 24hrs... often people don't realise this.

Offence Code: AC20
Description: Failing to give particulars or to report an accident within 24 hours

Even if someone doesn't report the accident - it is unlikely that they will get the points...

I have had to wait a week because someone just didn't bother (car vs car) at first my insurance company said they couldn't do anything until the other party reported it! (I got the other company details, in my own way and called them direct to sort it).

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
AnotherEye.

Thanks for the kind words and for the input.

I hope that this thread will enable us all to suggest additions, then discuss until they are polished and correct enough to add to the guide, so don’t be afraid to suggest something even if you are as you say "not an expert"...after all, who is?

DrS may have a point about the reporting issue So I'll see how this pans out in debate before adding, But I do like the suggestion of not UNDERTAKING, I find this really off-putting and plain rude so perhaps we need to add this too. Regards not getting up (unless unsafe not to), I think we need to add this comment straight away, its perfect common sense and something you may not think about "in the event" so having knowledge prior to the event will help.

I've been very busy lately and haven't had much time to look at this properly or comment on it.

Well done!! I think when this is finalised it needs to be viralised in some way. (It's pretty much finalised now anyway). How could we get this out to the masses?

One minor comment

Section 2: Traffics lights...

I'd stress somewhere that the ASL is not a target, and you don't have to get to it. It's there to help, if needed. Sometimes it is safer to sit behind a queue rather than push to the front, obviously in primary.

AnotherEye

magnatom said:
Section 2: Traffics lights...

I'd stress somewhere that the ASL is not a target, and you don't have to get to it. It's there to help, if needed. Sometimes it is safer to sit behind a queue rather than push to the front, obviously in primary.
I agree.

magnatom said:
Well done!! I think when this is finalised it needs to be viralised in some way. (It's pretty much finalised now anyway). How could we get this out to the masses?

Maybe ask CTC if they are willing to include it in their newsletter.

drsquirrel said:
Maybe ask CTC if they are willing to include it in their newsletter.

Aye, that's an idea, but the type of cyclist who joins the CTC is probably not the target market for this. We need this to get to all of the cyclists who haven't heard of the CTC, Cyclecraft, etc.

What if, we were all to agree to print of 10 copies each, and each person leaves the printed copies somewhere where cyclists might come across them, i.e. bike sheds, cafes, bike shops etc?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Aye, that's an idea, but the type of cyclist who joins the CTC is probably not the target market for this. We need this to get to all of the cyclists who haven't heard of the CTC, Cyclecraft, etc.

What if, we were all to agree to print of 10 copies each, and each person leaves the printed copies somewhere where cyclists might come across them, i.e. bike sheds, cafes, bike shops etc?

I'm up for that.

Comments on ASL will be added in the morning, thanks for the input....oh and welcome back!

jonny jeez said:
I'm up for that.

Comments on ASL will be added in the morning, thanks for the input....oh and welcome back!

If 100 people were to agree to print 10 copies off, that would be 1000 leaflets for only a small amount of expense per person. Of course some might be able to use office equipment for the print outs.....with permission of course! :smile:

AnotherEye

How about a sticker to go on bike stands with a link? Could also do a flyer to put on parked bikes. This is marketing; why would someone who is already cycling want to read it?

Top Bottom