England : Berkshire The Exurbia Boozer ride ..... protoplan thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
NOTE: The details for this ride can now be found as follows:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...-feb-2017-final-details-and-roll-call.212665/

Idea was hatched earlier this year when riding the Chilterns with @theclaud. A number of rather tasty-looking boozers were spotted en-route promoting the idea of a winter/festivy pub crawl *ahem* bike ride.
The route we took was basically this:
http://cycle.travel/map/journey/30238

Excluding Wargrave as too close to the start I come up with 13 pubs en-route, however as I go along inventing rules, 2 pubs in one village is too much, so we end up with 12 pubs in the initial list.
These are as follows:

Aston - The Flower pot
Hambledon - The frog and Huntsman
Skirmet - The Frog
Fingest - The Chequers
Turville - The Bull and Butcher
Pishil - The Crown
Middle assendon - The Rainbow
Witheridge Hill - The Rainbow
Stoke Row - Crooked Billet/Cherry Tree
Exlade Street - The Highwayman
Kidmore End - The New Inn
Sonning Eye - The Flowing Spring (Playhatch)

Taking the ones that are actually by the roadside on the original route we end up with the 8 in bold with a question mark over Witheridge hill as to whether or not it was visible.

So. The rules we made at the time were:

A different beer in each Pub
One Joker which may be played when you want a Soft Drink, but only 1.
Water may be imbibed along with any volume of beer.

That makes 7 Pints .... which may be deemed not sensible, (depending on timescale of course) so we can either half the volume i.e a half of beer at each pub is an acceptable quantity along with half of water or reduce the number of pubs.
We can choose a pub as a lunchstop
The final pub has already been tested at the end of a 10 Claudine* ride as has both a selection of fine ales and fine foods and plenty bike parking.

*Claudine = Metric measurement = Miles/Pint

No date decided
No start-time decided

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've drunk in a couple of those pubs many years ago when I lived down that way. In fact your route goes right past my old house in Woodley.

It's a good plan, although I don't really drink beer these days. Are spirits allowed?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Might some attention need to be paid to opening hours?

I don't know the patch well, but village pubs near me often don't open lunchtimes let alone all day.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
48 miles with eight pub stops? Are you sure you've thought this through properly?
Of course not .... that's for you lot to do, tsk.....

I do concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom