The first signs that you're getting there with fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You know the pros are running compacts on hilly stages these days... so if you're doing this then why weren't you in the TdF?
Because I am too old, too slow, don't have the stamina to ride that distance day in day out, started riding regularly too late in life, don't want that lifestyle and probably don't have the natural ability. Other than that I see no reason why not.:thumbsup:
As for cursing my compact that is more to do with not needing those extreme ratios I used to need when I was less fit and the subsequent large jumps between certain gears. As I have grown fitter I get over most of the longer climbs in the Pennines at a reasonable cadence and speed without feeling tired and without needing the lowest gears and I therefore periodically curse the compact.

I cursed my compact when out climbing Nick O ' Pendle with ColinJ and gang. Boy was that hard! But to have the guts to do it showed I had progressed even if it didnt feel like it at the time.

Otherwise other pointers include more frequent use of big chain ring. Being able to tackle longer length of rides more often as I surprise myself I have got round so quickly. I have 1 loop which I use to tackle separately as 3 circuits. Now I do them all together.

Physique - Seeing good calf definition and arm definition!!!

defy-one

Standing at red lights (8 abreast) on Torrington place waiting to join Tottenham Court road ..... And i dropped all of them from a standing start :biggrin:

(commuter hybrid with laptop+rucksack!)

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
On holiday last year beating the lift up 8 flights of stairs and not blow, to the suprise of my wife and the other occupants in the lift. There was not enough room for me so I said to my wife "I will see you up there" (top floor). With a smug look and arms folded when the doors opened I said "what took you" I have still kept my level of fitness 12 months on and it feels good.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I just managed 5 miles in 17 minutes with 360 ft of climbing with a dodgy knee (been feeling it all day) but still 10 secs of my best climb times however attacked both of them this time!

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

Top Bottom