The fog is closing in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I will be on my way home in 45 minutes and the fog is closing in fast . Fog is the one type of weather I really hate.

I will have 3 flashing light on the rear, 2 flashing lights on the front and a static light. I have chosen quiet roads and tracks to get home.

But I never feel comfortable in fog. Any more tips?

screenman

Legendary Member
I will be on my way home in 45 minutes and the fog is closing in fast . Fog is the one type of weather I really hate.

I will have 3 flashing light on the rear, 2 flashing lights on the front and a static light. I have chosen quiet roads and tracks to get home.

But I never feel comfortable in fog. Any more tips?

Use the car^_^ Sorry could not resist.

I do agree with you on the fog bit, I can offer no further advice.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Fog forms when the difference between air temperature and dew point is less than 2.5 °C or 4 °F.[5]

Fog begins to form when water vapour condenses into tiny liquid water droplets suspended in the air. Six examples of ways that water vapour is added to the air are by wind convergence into areas of upward motion; precipitation or virga falling from above; daytime heating evaporating water from the surface of oceans, water bodies, or wet land; transpiration from plants; cool or dry air moving over warmer water; and lifting air over mountains. Water vapour normally begins to condense on condensation nuclei such as dust, ice, and salt in order to form clouds. Fog, like its elevated cousin stratus, is a stable cloud deck which tends to form when a cool, stable air mass is trapped underneath a warm air mass.

Fog normally occurs at a relative humidity near 100%. This occurs from either added moisture in the air, or falling ambient air temperature. However, fog can form at lower humidities, and can sometimes fail to form with relative humidity at 100%. At 100% relative humidity, the air cannot hold additional moisture, thus, the air will become supersaturated if additional moisture is added.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Fog forms when the difference between air temperature and dew point is less than 2.5 °C or 4 °F.[5]

Fog begins to form when water vapour condenses into tiny liquid water droplets suspended in the air. Six examples of ways that water vapour is added to the air are by wind convergence into areas of upward motion; precipitation or virga falling from above; daytime heating evaporating water from the surface of oceans, water bodies, or wet land; transpiration from plants; cool or dry air moving over warmer water; and lifting air over mountains. Water vapour normally begins to condense on condensation nuclei such as dust, ice, and salt in order to form clouds. Fog, like its elevated cousin stratus, is a stable cloud deck which tends to form when a cool, stable air mass is trapped underneath a warm air mass.

Fog normally occurs at a relative humidity near 100%. This occurs from either added moisture in the air, or falling ambient air temperature. However, fog can form at lower humidities, and can sometimes fail to form with relative humidity at 100%. At 100% relative humidity, the air cannot hold additional moisture, thus, the air will become supersaturated if additional moisture is added.

I think I fell asleep at 'forms'.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once set out on my moped to visit friends a couple of miles away. The fog was so dense that I got disorientated and in the end panicked slightly and went home. That was in 1979 and I haven't seen fog as dense as that since.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Bet you're fun on a night out!:smile:

pawl

Legendary Member

Blimey

Ride with your front lights on ‘less than full whack’ setting, if possible, as if you have a pair of ‘boliers’ up front set to full whack, you risk actually decreasing your forward visibility, due to the backscatter you’ll get in thick fog. I tend to set my rear lights to full whack though, as any increase in visibility from the rear is a good thing.

Top Bottom