The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
For anyone who saw my original posts about this and who is interested, the first Safe Standing section in England is now being installed at Shrewsbury.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2018/may/safe-standing-installation-begins/

MarkF

Guru
As an Evertonian, I have to say that I despair of how Allardyce has been hounded out by a big section of our fans. The football hasn't been pretty, and at times has been like watching paint dry, but so it was under previous managers, which our fans conveniently forget. It seems as much as anything that the players aren't capable of producing more entertaining football.

He hasn't helped himself and should have been more professional in some things he has said; he seems to have been winding the fans up with some quotes, but SA has been hounded since the moment he was appointed, when we win, it is luck, when we lose it is because he is a poor manager, etc, etc, etc. so I reckon he has just been countering those unbalanced views, and perhaps even taking the p***a bit as well.

I think both clubs could have done worse than stick with Allardyce and Moyes into next season and take time to prepare the way for properly managed change rather than, as you say, bow to the fans the way they have.

Everton have gone really well since they sacked Martinez....I'd wager that they are going to appoint a Martinez-lite..........

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Everton have gone really well since they sacked Martinez....I'd wager that they are going to appoint a Martinez-lite..........
I agree Everton have improved since Martinez was sacked, the league positions in the 2 years since show a clear improvement, but saying they have done really well is a bit debatable. The football has often been dour, albeit better than the shambolic disorganised chaos of Roberto, but then we did lose our most prolific goalscorer, and getting higher than the 7th or 8th positions achieved since he went is now a mammoth challenge given the strength of the "big 6" compared to everyone else.

I think you could be right about Martinez light (Marco Silva?). I fear for us if he takes over, brief good spells at Hull and Watford before things went downhill in big ways, but then he did do well in Greece and Portugal so perhaps given time he can get things right in the PL.

I have seen you praising Stuart McCall in this thread - I would like to see him emerge as an up and coming manager somewhere. Really liked him at Everton, a cracking little player.

MarkF

Guru
I have seen you praising Stuart McCall in this thread - I would like to see him emerge as an up and coming manager somewhere. Really liked him at Everton, a cracking little player.

Up and coming? He's about the same age as Jose Mourinho! He's had two spells at Bradford City as a manager and they produced the best football I've seen, I am sure he recalls being given a chance at 16 so he gives chances too, lovely football and right up my street.:okay:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Up and coming? He's about the same age as Jose Mourinho! He's had two spells at Bradford City as a manager and they produced the best football I've seen, I am sure he recalls being given a chance at 16 so he gives chances too, lovely football and right up my street.:okay:

Of course, I forgot how long ago it was that he was playing, I remember him playing for Everton in the late 80s so that is 30 years ago, doesn't seem that long ago, how time flies...... I was going to add "when you're having fun", but it hasn't been much fun watching Everton since then. :addict:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The decision to hold the Championa league final in Ukrain appears to have been a mistake.

First the hotels have entered into huge price gouging And now the airport is refusing to allow permits to land.

I feel sorry for Liverpool fans.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The decision to hold the Championa league final in Ukrain appears to have been a mistake.

First the hotels have entered into huge price gouging And now the airport is refusing to allow permits to land.

I feel sorry for Liverpool fans.
Mate of mine was going to Kiev today. Hopefully made it OK....

Slick

Guru
Have they? Thought that was Falkirk?
My neighbour plays for falkirk so I could ask him but the thistle thing did come from second hand information but a boy at work who's lad plays for thistle tells me they have all been released, which is a real shame as again apparently the boy knocked back an offer from Stenhousemuir.

AndyRM

XOXO
My neighbour plays for falkirk so I could ask him but the thistle thing did come from second hand information but a boy at work who's lad plays for thistle tells me they have all been released, which is a real shame as again apparently the boy knocked back an offer from Stenhousemuir.

Think it was last year they shut down, to concentrate funds on getting promoted...

Top Bottom