The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Phew! Arsenal game was a stonker ^_^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Surprises in England's top flight are fairly few and far between as well.
Surprises rarely happen, but no one or two teams have ever commanded a permanent position at the top of the League. Liverpool went three decades between titles, Manchester United twenty six years and clubs only ever achieve a fairly brief period of dominance (Chelsea and Arsenal for example) before fading away. It isn't that long ago Man City were a lower league side.

In Scotland you can safely predict the two teams who will be fighting for the title in fifty years time - the same two who were slugging it out fifty years ago.

Slick

Guru
Some team the Rangers.

Another fantastic result tonight and excellent result to keep the European run going. Can't wait for the draw tomorrow to see how we stack up against some quality opposition that's left.

There will be more than one side now looking over Govan way and hoping that they don't get drawn against Stevie G's 11. :bravo:

Slick

Guru
Surprises rarely happen, but no one or two teams have ever commanded a permanent position at the top of the League. Liverpool went three decades between titles, Manchester United twenty six years and clubs only ever achieve a fairly brief period of dominance (Chelsea and Arsenal for example) before fading away. It isn't that long ago Man City were a lower league side.

In Scotland you can safely predict the two teams who will be fighting for the title in fifty years time - the same two who were slugging it out fifty years ago.
Everyone has their own personal battle to try and get to where they need to be to call it a successful campaign.

You don't get it, that's fine.

I wouldn't open the curtains to watch an English match. :cheers:

AndyRM

XOXO
Everyone has their own personal battle to try and get to where they need to be to call it a successful campaign.

You don't get it, that's fine.

I wouldn't open the curtains to watch an English match. :cheers:

This.

I have no idea of the actual statistics, but I reckon that outside Rangers and Celtic the Scottish top flight has thrown up way more varied finishing positions than the English, in the modern leagues.

Slick

Guru
This.

I have no idea of the actual statistics, but I reckon that outside Rangers and Celtic the Scottish top flight has thrown up way more varied finishing positions than the English, in the modern leagues.
I would imagine that to be correct but people who think they know could easily overlook that fact.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
This.

I have no idea of the actual statistics...

but I reckon that outside Rangers and Celtic...

The argument ends there. It's only ever been those two that are competing, apart from the brief period in the 80s where Aberdeen were good.

Right now, it doesn't matter where Hibernian, Livingston (or Arbroath for that matter) finish, the SPL is simply a 2 team league and if you're not challenging for top spot, then historically speaking, nobody cares how competitive 3rd vs 6th was.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
The argument ends there. It's only ever been those two. Doesn't matter where Hibernian, or Livingston finish. 😄

It's not an argument, all I'm doing is pointing out that outwith the Old Firm the SPL is very competitive. It hasn't always been 'those two' either.

Slick

Guru
The argument ends there. It's only ever been those two that are competing, apart from the brief period in the 80s where Aberdeen were good.

Right now, it doesn't matter where Hibernian, Livingston (or Arbroath for that matter) finish, the SPL is simply a 2 team league and if you're not challenging for top spot, then historically speaking, nobody cares how competitive 3rd vs 6th was.
Unless of course your 3rd or sixth. ^_^

PaulB

Legendary Member
Talking about Scottish fitbae, I once went to a game between Cowdenbeath and Arbroath. We get more fans watching Colne at the top of my road than they had that night and they're in the North West Counties Football League. That's about division 8 or something. And I mean loads more too.

I was discussing this with the guy who invited me and asked him if it would be better if the bigot brothers went off to another country's league and then there'd be more distribution of the trophies but he was dead against it. I think it's become ingrained into the Scottish mind that there has to be Celtic and Rangers, always has been and always will be. It's as boring as watching two bald men fight over a comb and glory in winning it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Talking about Scottish fitbae, I once went to a game between Cowdenbeath and Arbroath. We get more fans watching Colne at the top of my road than they had that night and they're in the North West Counties Football League. That's about division 8 or something. And I mean loads more too.

I was discussing this with the guy who invited me and asked him if it would be better if the bigot brothers went off to another country's league and then there'd be more distribution of the trophies but he was dead against it. I think it's become ingrained into the Scottish mind that there has to be Celtic and Rangers, always has been and always will be. It's as boring as watching two bald men fight over a comb and glory in winning it.

Cowdenbeath's average attendance is just over 300. Colne's is just over 200.

I can understand why folk outside of Scotland think that we've only got Rangers and Celtic to choose from, but that's simply not the case. Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen all have large fan-bases. The smaller sides are less well supported, for a variety of reasons.

It would help if the media wasn't relentlessly focussed on the Old Firm derby, and that smaller clubs were given more credit, but that side of things is definitely ingrained and generally annoys fans who don't support either of those two.

Chislenko

Veteran
If it's any help I follow Albion Rovers, like to get up there at least once a season. Success is not a word you can associate with Albion.

Slick

Guru
Cowdenbeath's average attendance is just over 300. Colne's is just over 200.

I can understand why folk outside of Scotland think that we've only got Rangers and Celtic to choose from, but that's simply not the case. Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen all have large fan-bases. The smaller sides are less well supported, for a variety of reasons.

It would help if the media wasn't relentlessly focussed on the Old Firm derby, and that smaller clubs were given more credit, but that side of things is definitely ingrained and generally annoys fans who don't support either of those two.
St Mirren are a perfect example with a huge buzz around Paisley because a top 6 spot is in their grasp. Success is relative and I find it exciting on their behalf.

Top Bottom