The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The thing is, England don't think they're in a Home Nations Hundred Years War - they just play Scotland and Wales when FIFA/UEFA happen to plan things that way. England don't care that Scotland went out, and they aren't cheering that Wales are out.
Isn't the difference interesting? :laugh:
but they are cheering cause wales and scotland are out.........not everyone just sits on CC all day, some of us different types of social media and the english are loving the fact wales got knocked out to denmark and bragging cause scotland lost in the group stages, you just choose not to see it

and by the way, i support an english football team, so i have zero issues with watching england get through to as many stages as they can, so i can see players from my club excelling at international level.......

and of you think england didn't care about wales/scotland, then why did the bbc keep showing the gazza goal of 96' over and over and over and over and over again and showing mc'allisters peno miss constantly

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The thing is, England don't think they're in a Home Nations Hundred Years War - they just play Scotland and Wales when FIFA/UEFA happen to plan things that way. England don't care that Scotland went out, and they aren't cheering that Wales are out.
Isn't the difference interesting? :laugh:
I think most English fans actively want to see the other home nations to do well. From what I've experienced and witnessed in the last week, English fans in general were certainly very sad to see Wales go out, and we root for Scotland more than someone might imagine if their only lens is say, the Sun, or the Daily Record. The animosity generally goes the one way, although I can see some of the reasoning behind it... the red top media don't really help with how they frame things. Your average England fan doesn't want to see Wales or Scotland do badly, although naturally we'd probably not wish them to do quite so well against us.

AndyRM

XOXO
Wouldn't want to be the ref in the Belgium v Portugal game - Ronaldo has already thrown himself on the floor clutching his face after an innocuous challenge.

Hurrah! Belgium has just taken a well deserved lead!

All footballers are trying to con the ref, at every level; Ronaldo is hardly an exception.

jowwy

I think most English fans actively want to see the other home nations to do well. From what I've experienced and witnessed in the last week, English fans in general were certainly very sad to see Wales go out, and we root for Scotland more than someone might imagine if their only lens is say, the Sun, or the Daily Record. The animosity generally goes the one way, although I can see some of the reasoning behind it... the red top media don't really help with how they frame things. Your average England fan doesn't want to see Wales or Scotland do badly, although naturally we'd probably not wish them to do quite so well against us.
what absolute bollox........did you not see the run up to the scotland game on the bbc, i think there was 300 million repeats of the gazza goal in the first hour before the game

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
what absolute bollox........did you not see the run up to the scotland game on the bbc, i think there was 300 million repeats of the gazza goal in the first hour before the game
That's not the same thing is it. That's not "the English wanting to see the Scots do badly". That's the media hyping up the rivalry, which was exactly my point. And I'm not a fan of it either as an England supporter, because we usually cock things up anyway so we really don't benefit in any way from the media hyping.

You said earlier that you see a lot of anti-Welsh sentiment on social media, but on the contrary I overwhelmingly saw a lot of very, very supportive sentiment toward the Welsh team and supporters. So maybe it depends on where you're looking, and what you're looking for?
If I may, you can often come across as quite an abrasive guy who seems to actively like getting into internet arguments, and you're (as we see on this thread) keen on a bit of hubris, so maybe you naturally find people turning on you when you're on social media, football fora, Twitter or whatever? I'm not sure, but I can assure you that I've never met another England supporter who wishes ill on Scotland or Wales.

jowwy

That's not the same thing is it. That's not "the English wanting to see the Scots do badly". That's the media hyping up the rivalry, which was exactly my point. And I'm not a fan of it either as an England supporter, because we usually cock things up anyway so we really don't benefit in any way from the media hyping.

You said earlier that you see a lot of anti-Welsh sentiment on social media, but on the contrary I overwhelmingly saw a lot of very, very supportive sentiment toward the Welsh team and supporters. So maybe it depends on where you're looking, and what you're looking for?
If I may, you can often come across as quite an abrasive guy who seems to actively like getting into internet arguments, and you're (as we see on this thread) keen on a bit of hubris, so maybe you naturally find people turning on you when you're on social media, football fora, Twitter or whatever? I'm not sure, but I can assure you that I've never met another England supporter who wishes ill on Scotland or Wales.
blah blah blah....you come across as this, you come across as that, another load of tosh. you don't know me, so please don't judge me.....you just make yourself look a fool

It was a very good goal :-) I think any fan of the Beautiful Game would agree. (And many would say it was the finest Euros goal by a British player.)

So of course they would show it before a repeat of the fixture between the same two teams. I've no idea why it winds you up so much. :smooch:

Plenty of England fans I know were glad Scotland didn't get out of the group stages so got to agree with Jowwy on that one.

When it comes to Football, it's a mutual dislike of each other as far as I can see.

Let's see how many Scottish are rooting for England Tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Of course they do (well OK, *I* never did, but I'll exclude that from the evidence, just to be polite); but oddly we mainly notice Ronaldo doing it raaaather a lot. Perhaps just a coincidence, he is a fine fellow.

Shame he's out of the tournament.
When Ronaldo played in the EPL he got kicked black and blue every game and just got up and got on with it. I doubt it is any different now in Italy, so you can hardly blame him if he takes the odd dive.

jowwy

It was a very good goal :-) I think any fan of the Beautiful Game would agree. (And many would say it was the finest Euros goal by a British player.)

So of course they would show it before a repeat of the fixture between the same two teams. I've no idea why it winds you up so much. :smooch:
it doesnt wind me up, but too say that all england fans were hoping wales and scotland would get through is absolute bollox of the highest degree

but they are cheering cause wales and scotland are out.........not everyone just sits on CC all day, some of us different types of social media and the english are loving the fact wales got knocked out to denmark and bragging cause scotland lost in the group stages, you just choose not to see it

and by the way, i support an english football team, so i have zero issues with watching england get through to as many stages as they can, so i can see players from my club excelling at international level.......

and of you think england didn't care about wales/scotland, then why did the bbc keep showing the gazza goal of 96' over and over and over and over and over again and showing mc'allisters peno miss constantly
Not me. Wanted Sco and Wal to go further :okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
When Ronaldo played in the EPL he got kicked black and blue every game and just got up and got on with it. I doubt it is any different now in Italy, so you can hardly blame him if he takes the odd dive.

This. So much this.

And it's not like any England players ever dive or attempt to manipulate the referee.

Top Bottom