The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The twelve founder members of the Football League are Accrington :whistle: , Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke (as they were known at the time), West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Accrington was a completely different club to Accrington Stanley.

Stoke were originally called Stoke Ramblers becoming Stoke Football Club in 1878 and then Stoke City in 1925.

Notts County were originally the Notts Football Club, Notts County appeared on fixture lists in the early 1880s to distinguish from other local teams and in 1890 the club changed its name registered with the FA to Notts Incorporated Football Club which then marketed itself as Notts County. A failed attempt to correct the matter occurred in the 1920s and it took until 2001.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Italians have a far better approach to playoffs than in England. If the team who finish 3rd in Serie B are 10 points ahead, they get automatically promoted. If not, playoff with the team in 4th. Rewards ability and consistency over the season rather than a few knockout games.

I'd be gutted if I was a Sheff Wed fan and got done by a team which finished 19 points adrift. And yeah, I know that's the system and you have to play by the rules, but it's total nonsense really.

potsy

Rambler
Peterborough only scraped into the playoffs on the final day of the season, think they were relying on other results going their way...
A psychological boost like that could see them go all the way..

postman

Legendary Member
I was just thinking it must be galling to be a Notts County fan.When I just see a Gary Sprake howler mins from time,it's a funny old game.

Top Bottom