The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Arsenal have just imploded haven’t they! What a disastrous season end really. I understand they are just building but will they get that chance again next season . Shame really . Some nice stuff was being played earlier in the season .

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Mike_P

Guru
Luton along with Notts County were amongst the clubs who agreed to form the Premiership only then to be relegated in the last season of the old First Division.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Luton along with Notts County were amongst the clubs who agreed to form the Premiership only then to be relegated in the last season of the old First Division.

I tend to forget about Luton's top flight days. I remember their 1970's old Division One days with the Futcher twins

Futcher%2Btwins.jpg

and I was there at Maine Road in the Kippax when Luton stayed up and David Pleat famously ran on the pitch, arms raised in the air to celebrate their survival, also sending City down. That match happened 40 years ago to the day, last Sunday gone.

I'll have the match day programme somewhere in one of my boxes in my flat. If I remember rightly, the attendance was over 48,000 which is probably the biggest football crowd I've been in. Unless the Blackburn v Leicester 1992 2nd Division play off final i saw was a bit higher.

Edit...If you listen closely to the above video, on 39 seconds you'll hear 'Big Helen' ringing her hand held bell. She was a 'brassy blonde', with a bee hive hair style, who sat behind the goal.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I tend to forget about Luton's top flight days. I remember their 1970's old Division One days with the Futcher twins

I always remember Luton for being the first team in the top tier to use an artificial pitch, which they had from 1985-1991. Fully artificial pitches were then banned in about 1992.

Chislenko

Veteran

View attachment 690024

and I was there at Maine Road in the Kippax when Luton stayed up and David Pleat famously ran on the pitch, arms raised in the air to celebrate their survival, also sending City down. That match happened 40 years ago to the day, last Sunday gone.

I'll have the match day programme somewhere in one of my boxes in my flat. If I remember rightly, the attendance was over 48,000 which is probably the biggest football crowd I've been in. Unless the Blackburn v Leicester 1992 2nd Division play off final i saw was a bit higher.

Edit...If you listen closely to the above video, on 39 seconds you'll hear 'Big Helen' ringing her hand held bell. She was a 'brassy blonde', with a bee hive hair style, who sat behind the goal.

Danny Murphy is the nephew of the Futchers. They all come from the Upton district of Chester.

Back in my ground hopping days I turned up at Maine Road and took my place in the stand.

As it was my first visit I knew nothing of that woman with the bell, I certainly knew about her by the end of the game as I was sat not far from her.

View attachment 690024

What a game!
Man City going down to what is the equivalent of Division one now and with some very good players.Dennis Tueart,Asa Hartford etc.
My only memories of luton that i can recall is when those so called Millwall supporters smashed up the place.:sad:

R_nger

Guru
I always remember Luton for being the first team in the top tier to use an artificial pitch, which they had from 1985-1991. Fully artificial pitches were then banned in about 1992.

Didn’t QPR have the first plastic pitch in the old first division?

Top Bottom