The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I wanted to ask the Scottish lads on here what they think about the top and bottom splits at the end of the season?
Looked at Wikipedia to get a gist of it.
After getting the idea of the league not wanting clubs to play each other four times a season it got too complicated for my tiny brain to comprehend.:ohmy:

It's just a device to all but guarantee 4 Old Firm league derbies per season for Sky without running to the 44 game season a league of 12 would normally bring. Cutting to a league of 10 gives 4 derbies but it's deadly dull and too cut-throat for the money men at existing Premiership clubs.

The split also means it's a 35 game season which allows for a break and for the Old Firm to arrange glamour friendlies.

Slick

Guru
I wanted to ask the Scottish lads on here what they think about the top and bottom splits at the end of the season?
Looked at Wikipedia to get a gist of it.
After getting the idea of the league not wanting clubs to play each other four times a season it got too complicated for my tiny brain to comprehend.:ohmy:

I hate it, but I get that it gives others something to play for and its an achievement for some to finish in the top 6 with financial benefits as well. I'm not sure that it works, but it seems to woe for some so I think its here to stay for the foreseeable, unfortunately.

Mike_P

Guru
Playoffs should be scrapped in terms of promotion IME. Absolute torture for the team that finished in the top playoff spot who if they do win then gets promoted despite the playoffs rather than because of them. Must be some other carrot than could be dangled, like a bye into the x round of the FA cup.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Playoffs should be scrapped in terms of promotion IME. Absolute torture for the team that finished in the top playoff spot who if they do win then gets promoted despite the playoffs rather than because of them. Must be some other carrot than could be dangled, like a bye into the x round of the FA cup.

It’s totally unfair, but does provide entertainment.
otherwise there would be lots of teams with absolutely nothing to play for by February.

Chislenko

Veteran
Some play off semi final win for Crawley, didn't see an 8-1 aggregate score on the cards against Franchise FC coming!!

AndyRM

XOXO
OplusInfoCollection_240512072239785.png

From scraping through the Championship, narrowly avoiding relegation on our return to the top flight to the Europa League qualifiers in two seasons.

Quite a turnaround after the almighty implosion following Steve Clarke's departure.

Top Bottom