The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member

Ooh indeed. We were absolutely dreadful.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Quite nice for Everton after the crap season they have had, being a selective target for points deduction whilst the misdemeanours of Man City and Chelsea get ignored, that they may well have spiked their rivals title challenge with a derby victory.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Back to last Sunday's disallowed Coventry goal struck me the whole problem with the current microscopic ruling of offside is that it is contrary to other rules like the ball having to be wholly over the line for a goal to count. In that case an attacking player should be only given off side if there feet are clearly and wholly beyond those of a defender.

How do you measure "Clearly and wholly"? With VAR it will still come down to the last millimetre at some point or other however you decide to do it, so the controversy will be never ending and the deciding factor will just moved to a different point.

IMO VAR should only be used for goal line decisions and we should go back to the referee's discretion, faults and all. At least it would get rid of waiting God knows how many minutes to know whether you can celebrate or not.

Mike_P

Guru
How do you measure "Clearly and wholly"? With VAR it will still come down to the last millimetre at some point or other however you decide to do it, so the controversy will be never ending and the deciding factor will just moved to a different point.

IMO VAR should only be used for goal line decisions and we should go back to the referee's discretion, faults and all. At least it would get rid of waiting God knows how many minutes to know whether you can celebrate or not.

Thinking of the players feet being clearly and visibly beyond those of the defender.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Just do away with offside, that'll sort it.

Seevio

Guru
For offsides, they could put a timer on VAR decisions. If they can't decide in X seconds, it's clearly too close to call and the on pitch decision stands. I'm thinking 10 or 15 seconds should do it. They can have a countdown timer on the stadium screen and play the music from Countdown.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think the automated offside tech' as per World Cup trial is here in the EPL next season.

I think VAR is excellent. The weak links are the quality of the remote VAR ref's, the lack of stadium audio re ref's decision rationale and some of the rules themselves.

The arrogant, dismissive and opaque ref's association, who are a law unto themselves and beyond censure, need bringing into line too.

postman

Legendary Member
Tonight in Larndan it is the World Cup,FA Cup,European Cup any Cup Final as a matter of fact.Leeds United must win.But QPR are fighting for survival i do believe they are four points off the drop zone.My dicky heart might not take the strain.Leeds win and the pressure is on Ipswich Town then.There might be some good news though,because he is like marmite barndoor might not be fit to play and young Joseph might get a kick.Time for a hero to step up,plus the goalie has been taking some stick.What a night tonight up here.

Last month Utrecht scored, ref points to the centre circle and the ball is rolled up the pitch for the kick off. Then up pops the VAR sign. A few minutes pass. Goal is disallowed for obstruction. Ball gets rolled back to the keeper. Keeper is about to take the free kick when the VAR sign pops up again. A few more minutes pass. VAR overrules itself and decides it was a goal after all. Ball gets rolled up to the centre spot again. Utter farce!

Top Bottom