The Foragers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Fairy Ring Champignons / Mousserons / Marasmius with brekkie. One of the best shrooms - delicious, easy to ID (with a caveat for beginners), other shroomers ignore them, and you can dry them out completely and they will rehydrate as if new.

IMG_20220827_103722839_HDR.jpg

Foraged some apples from one of my usual spots yesterday, but they're still not quite ready despite coming off the tree fairly easily. Will spread them out on newspaper in a tray and leave them for a bit.

Will revisit the spot in a week or so to check on progress.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Fairy Ring Champignons / Mousserons / Marasmius with brekkie. One of the best shrooms - delicious, easy to ID (with a caveat for beginners), other shroomers ignore them, and you can dry them out completely and they will rehydrate as if new.

View attachment 658855

Many years ago I gathered some from the lawn in front of some low-rise flats in North Hykeham. Some ignorant fecker in the flats got the council round to destroy the rest of the colony! Don't know what nasty fungicide they used, but I've never seen any again there.
After drying, they can be ground to use as a mystery ingredient. :hungry:

Good job I like walnuts.

I've about 16 kilos spread out to dry. :blush:

All the trees around here that are on public land or in hedgerows are known about by other people, but I'm willing to wager that I'm possibly the only person that knows about all of them... :whistle: It's made for some very wibbly wobbly bike rides*, as they're all on my various cycling routes. :laugh:

* I bring them home with the husks on. It's easier to clean nuts sitting at a table and wearing rubber gloves.

Another six kilos today, furkling on hands and knees under what is probably my favourite tree. The blustery conditions yesterday and today brought them down from the uppermost branches, all largely free of husks.

My knees aren't thanking me... :blush:

Stephenite

Membå
I was foraging in the mother-in-laws undergrowth t'other week.

As she is getting on in years and her chap is ready for the knackers yard (both of them are very dear to me) she asked if me and the kids would help with the harvesting of the gardens redcurrant bush and cherry tree. They were absolutely bursting with fruit we saw when we turned up. I døn't know how she does it.

I've begun to suffer some kind of constant dizziness in recent months and managed to fall and break my ankle. Nevertheless, I was tasked with going up the ladder to the higher echelons of the cherry tree whilst the kids (11 and 7) were plucking the redcurrant. There were buckets of cherries. When i called down and asked how things with the young un's the eldest answered back the youngest said it didnt taste so good (!) So, I came down and had a look. It turned out she'd been nibbling on the berries of the Woody Nightshade that was growing through the Redcurrant bush. :ohmy:

The past couple of weeks we've had plenty of desserts of redcurrant and custard. The cherries have been soaked, and one jar has been eaten with pancakes. In past years, when we've eaten our fill, we've added alcohol to make cherry liqour. We will see though. Breaking out the cherry liquor doesn’t seem to have the same impact it might have done before.

Attachments

• 18EA5A78-500A-4140-B951-BC15F3AB366B.jpeg
    18EA5A78-500A-4140-B951-BC15F3AB366B.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I was foraging in the mother-in-laws undergrowth t'other week.

As she is getting on in years and her chap is ready for the knackers yard (both of them are very dear to me) she asked if me and the kids would help with the harvesting of the gardens redcurrant bush and cherry tree. They were absolutely bursting with fruit we saw when we turned up. I døn't know how she does it.

I've begun to suffer some kind of constant dizziness in recent months and managed to fall and break my ankle. Nevertheless, I was tasked with going up the ladder to the higher echelons of the cherry tree whilst the kids (11 and 7) were plucking the redcurrant. There were buckets of cherries. When i called down and asked how things with the young un's the eldest answered back the youngest said it didnt taste so good (!) So, I came down and had a look. It turned out she'd been nibbling on the berries of the Woody Nightshade that was growing through the Redcurrant bush. :ohmy:

The past couple of weeks we've had plenty of desserts of redcurrant and custard. The cherries have been soaked, and one jar has been eaten with pancakes. In past years, when we've eaten our fill, we've added alcohol to make cherry liqour.

Ooops... No harm done, I hope. Beyond an upset stomach, that is...

Cherry jam is good too - especially if they are morello cherries. The jam's got more flavour than that from dessert cherries.

Stephenite

Membå
Ooops... No harm done, I hope. Beyond an upset stomach, that is...

Cherry jam is good too - especially if they are morello cherries. The jam's got more flavour than that from dessert cherries.

Not even an upset stomach. You probably have to eat a good couple of handfuls for that, I reckon.

The girl’s an eager plukker, and normally has a good eye, but the red woody nightshade berries are very similar to redcurrant when they’re mixed up in the same foliage.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A corner of our lawn has been invaded by lots of small shrooms. They have finely-fluted brownish caps. Can any of the fungi fiends on here tell me what they are? They seen to be edible for some creatures because they are being nibbled. Here are some piccies.
Thank-you.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 6

FishFright

More wheels than sense
A corner of our lawn has been invaded by lots of small shrooms. They have finely-fluted brownish caps. Can any of the fungi fiends on here tell me what they are? They seen to be edible for some creatures because they are being nibbled. Here are some piccies.
Thank-you.

Magic !

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
More of them popped up overnight. I think they might be some of the Coprinellus family. They are probably feasting on the roots of a cherry tree that died nearby about two years ago.

That's the walnutting season done and dusted for this year. Picked up another five kilos this week just gone, but it's got to the point that the effort expended is more than the nuts picked. But it's been worth my time though, as they are £8.58 per kilo in Tesco - £3 for a 350g net. I've nine trays, each with three kilos in a tray. :blush:

Had a lovely morning in the community orchard picking quince pears, medlars, apples and pears.

Svendo

Guru
Thank-you.

Despite other replies they are definitely not liberty caps. The striations, proportions and proximity are wrong. My random guess is common ink caps, edible unless you drink alcohol!

Top Bottom