The Foragers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't really argue with that. The big Horse Mushroom was the result of a hunch that had me snuffling around a pine copse on the edge of the golf course in pitch darkness on my way home from work. I say golf course, but it's actually now Footgolf, which is far superior. All golf courses should be converted without delay.
Careful. Isn't that just up the road from that notorious Sketty Lane car park? :eek:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Mistakes can happen snuffling around a pine copse in pitch darkness.
People say you can find a fungi in the dunes, if that's your bag.

It did sound a bit like an excuse that had been trotted out a few times before.. :rolleyes:

Still, as we always say.

"Gotta make your own fun in.the country" 👍🏼

Found a nice Savoy, cabbage out in the fields earlier..

Which was a relief, as I seem to remember planting several hundred of them, earlier this year

There were some weird brown topped mushrooms alongside too .

Didn't look very appetising..

Must find out what they were 🤔

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It did sound a bit like an excuse that had been trotted out a few times before.. :rolleyes:

Still, as we always say.

View attachment 615409

Which was a relief, as I seem to remember planting several hundred of them, earlier this year

Reminds me of the one about the man in the pumpkin field, of which the punchline is "Christ! Is it midnight already!"

Still, as we always say.

View attachment 615409

Can you lob one of those Savoys in my direction @mudsticks ?

That'll make a very nice minestrone soup and a dish of gołąbki (spicy pork mince and rice rolled in the cabbage leaves, and then drowned in a creamy tomato sauce) :hungry:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Can you lob one of those Savoys in my direction @mudsticks ?

That'll make a very nice minestrone soup and a dish of gołąbki (spicy pork mince and rice rolled in the cabbage leaves, and then drowned in a creamy tomato sauce) :hungry:

Trebuchet loaded..

Launch countdown commencing.

Dix, neuf, huit..etc

(I always assumed trebuchets are Frenchified things :blink:)

Trebuchet loaded..

Launch countdown commencing.

Dix, neuf, huit..etc

(I always assumed trebuchets are Frenchified things :blink:)

Umm, you may have missed...

Norman French was pretty well much the lingua franca of the Medieval military.

Anyways, I'm off to the community orchard this afternoon to pick some One Bite apples and some Medlars. And maybe a few Green Harveys if there's any left.

Svendo

Guru
In Todmorden park last week I found some common inkcaps. I got as far as frying them in butter before a niggle at the back of my mind prompted me to check. And I rediscovered they can make you very ill if you’ve drunk alcohol for 2 days or will do, apparently they interfere with the metabolism of alcohol in the liver. Obviously 4 days on the wagon is unlikely so that became a symbolic rather than actual forage.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
In Todmorden park last week I found some common inkcaps. I got as far as frying them in butter before a niggle at the back of my mind prompted me to check. And I rediscovered they can make you very ill if you’ve drunk alcohol for 2 days or will do, apparently they interfere with the metabolism of alcohol in the liver. Obviously 4 days on the wagon is unlikely so that became a symbolic rather than actual forage.
You made the right call. I've never eaten them for the same reason. Shaggy Ink Caps are fine, though, and underrated in my view.

Top Bottom