The Foragers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Poplar Fieldcaps!

A really worthwhile shroom - easy to ID (as long as you can also ID Poplar trees), subtle but nutty flavour and a nice firm texture. They are pretty good just fried in butter and eaten on toast, but I have Horse Mushrooms for that tomorrow so mine went into linguine this evening.

Poplar Fieldcaps!

View attachment 613921

View attachment 613922

A really worthwhile shroom - easy to ID (as long as you can also ID Poplar trees), subtle but nutty flavour and a nice firm texture. They are pretty good just fried in butter and eaten on toast, but I have Horse Mushrooms for that tomorrow so mine went into linguine this evening.

View attachment 613923
Is that along the cycle path from Swansea to Mumbles?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The Parasol situation is getting a bit out of control...

View attachment 614097

View attachment 614098

You think you've got problems with 'abundance'

Four, now mahoosive Spanish chestnuts. Hybrids planted here, about fourteen years ago..

Absolutely groaning with crop.

I'm feeling slightly intimidated at the thought of trying to harvest them all...

Spread out crop netting underneath, then whack the heck out of them with a long pole ??

Might have to call in reserve troops..

Wish me luck, I could be some time.. :hello:

You think you've got problems with 'abundance'

Four, now mahoosive Spanish chestnuts. Hybrids planted here, about fourteen years ago..

Absolutely groaning with crop.

I'm feeling slightly intimidated at the thought of trying to harvest them all...

Spread out crop netting underneath, then whack the heck out of them with a long pole ??

Might have to call in reserve troops..

Wish me luck, I could be some time.. :hello:

View attachment 614101

I have two sweet chestnut trees, but I'm too far north for them to give me anything worth having. I remember foraging for chestnuts during my undergrad days at Brunel, as there were several trees alongside the River Pinn that always cropped well.

Ever tried making candied chestnuts? Marrons Glacees are the food of the gods. Well, of this little cyclist, anyways. I adore them.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have two sweet chestnut trees, but I'm too far north for them to give me anything worth having. I remember foraging for chestnuts during my undergrad days at Brunel, as there were several trees alongside the River Pinn that always cropped well.

Ever tried making candied chestnuts? Marrons Glacees are the food of the gods. Well, of this little cyclist, anyways. I adore them.

These are huuge..
Like the vacuum packed ones you get..

Yes I tried making them once, in my 'knit your own knickers, weave your own yoghurt' days..

Took for ever, as you had to keep reboiling them in the sugar syrup iirc.

Would probs cost about four million pounds just in gas nowadays..:eek:

Had some in a very nice chestnut and mushroom pie for tea though..

Will probs harvest most of these and then pass them on for lots of lovely money instead..

Craven capitalist, that I am nowadays..:whistle:

So then I can afford to buy more bottles of gas for baking yummy pies 😊

These are huuge..
Like the vacuum packed ones you get..

Yes I tried making them once, in my 'knit your own knickers, weave your own yoghurt' days..

Took for ever, as you had to keep reboiling them in the sugar syrup iirc.

Would probs cost about four million pounds just in gas nowadays..:eek:

Had some in a very nice chestnut and mushroom pie for tea though..

Will probs harvest most of these and then pass them on for lots of lovely money instead..

Craven capitalist, that I am nowadays..:whistle:

So then I can afford to buy more bottles of gas for baking yummy pies 😊

There's also good things to do that combine chestnuts and chocolate... :hungry:

I do agree, they are a faff to make, and I tend to buy candied chestnuts these days. :blush: Although I do make my own candied ginger, which is definitely worthwhile. The process is the same (I use Marguerite Patten's method), but then the ginger syrup that's left over is wonderful for making apple crumbles or apple sauce. Apple and ginger is such a lovely combination.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's also good things to do that combine chestnuts and chocolate... :hungry:

I do agree, they are a faff to make, and I tend to buy candied chestnuts these days. :blush: Although I do make my own candied ginger, which is definitely worthwhile. The process is the same (I use Marguerite Patten's method), but then the ginger syrup that's left over is wonderful for making apple crumbles or apple sauce. Apple and ginger is such a lovely combination.

My mum used to make multiple discs of hazelnut meringue , and layer them up with cooked chestnut purée, and a kind of dark chocolate squidge to make a fancy dessert .

I might recreate that, next time it's someone's birthday..

Mmm candied ginger, and syrup..
Very nice .

First proper apple crumble of the season this evening too .

You'll have to excuse me now, whilst I sleep off this 'carb' coma' :angel:

My mum used to make multiple discs of hazelnut meringue , and layer them up with cooked chestnut purée, and a kind of dark chocolate squidge to make a fancy dessert .

I might recreate that, next time it's someone's birthday..

Mmm candied ginger, and syrup..
Very nice .

First proper apple crumble of the season this evening too .

You'll have to excuse me now, whilst I sleep off this 'carb' coma' :angel:

There's always the classic Mont Blanc as well... :hungry:

Been making some lovely crumbles with bramleys from my garden and the russet apples I foraged from a nearby hedge. It's funny, how something so simple as an apple crumble and custard can be so damn satisfying. :blush:

I ride through a park where some sweet chestnuts grow. Every year I see people, mostly Chinese origin, collecting them.

I must admit my experience of these chestnuts is limited to my childhood when they were popular in the shops and we used to have them roasted over the open fire.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
And you're losing control.
I can't really argue with that. The big Horse Mushroom was the result of a hunch that had me snuffling around a pine copse on the edge of the golf course in pitch darkness on my way home from work. I say golf course, but it's actually now Footgolf, which is far superior. All golf courses should be converted without delay.

Top Bottom