The Foragers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks theclaud, theyre quite large 6" or so across and seem to grow well in the dark shade of conifer plantations.I havent cut one to see if it stains- will do next time i see them. Im very cautious about eating mushrooms, the only one i know for certain is the shaggy ink cap which makes a very nice soup.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks theclaud, theyre quite large 6" or so across and seem to grow well in the dark shade of conifer plantations.I havent cut one to see if it stains- will do next time i see them. Im very cautious about eating mushrooms, the only one i know for certain is the shaggy ink cap which makes a very nice soup.
View attachment 608016

Nice pics. I still think it's a Shaggy P. The light in your photo makes it look quite a clean white but I am guessing the shaggy bits on the cap look more brown in reality - similar to my ordinary parasol above? The ring on the stem of both is sort of double and it can be detached from the stem and moved freely up and down it - this is a useful shorthand way of distinguishing the parasols from other superficially similar things. I have eaten it, and it is good, but it's known for upsetting a small but significant proportion of people. As ever, don't rely on a random online mushrooming cyclist's opinion of your pics, and cross-reference with a better source like this:

https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/shaggy-parasol/

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm off to pick some damsons today from a derelict cottage. There are ten trees groaning with fruit, I've been making space in my freezer and getting containers ready. I think we can all agree damsons are delish.

Way back when my father and I used to the exact same thing , sadly the cottage and garden were lost to a new road.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We had a week away last week, up in Lochaber, and ventured over to the Cairngorms for a walk up to the lochan at Creag Meagaidh. Loads of interesting stuff along the route, including these buggers. Everything about them screams keep away. I know some people have been known to eat them but it's a firm no from me.

20210902_104903.jpg

We found a fair number of chanterelles this morning.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Found a few of these lately - they are popping up in a line over about half a mile where the council have been installing lighting posts along the prom. A confusing find for newbie foragers. Until this year I'd only seen it once before. Leucoagaricus leucothites - the White Dapperling. Looks like an Agaricus species from above, but has pure white gills. The stem ring is a bit like that of the Parasols. Allegedly edible, but probably best avoided in case of possible confusion with the Destroying Angel!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Found a few of these lately - they are popping up in a line over about half a mile where the council have been installing lighting posts along the prom. A confusing find for newbie foragers. Until this year I'd only seen it once before. Leucoagaricus leucothites - the White Dapperling. Looks like an Agaricus species from above, but has pure white gills. The stem ring is a bit like that of the Parasols. Allegedly edible, but probably best avoided in case of possible confusion with the Destroying Angel!

View attachment 613373

View attachment 613374

View attachment 613375
I vaguely remember watching a Ray Mears TV show, Wild Britain or was it Wild Food? Anyway, is the Destroying Angel one that makes you feel ok after illness but then kills you swiftly after from liver failure?

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I vaguely remember watching a Ray Mears TV show, Wild Britain or was it Wild Food? Anyway, is the Destroying Angel one that makes you feel ok after illness but then kills you swiftly after from liver failure?
Yep it's pretty much the same as the Death Cap from a toxicology POV. Apparently there's a dude in Florida who's had success with a treatment involving an intravenous drug derived from milk thistle combined with an aggressive hydration regime. And he'll ship the drug anywhere in the world very quickly. The snag is you've only got so long to confirm that amatoxin poisoning is the culprit...

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yep it's pretty much the same as the Death Cap from a toxicology POV. Apparently there's a dude in Florida who's had success with a treatment involving an intravenous drug derived from milk thistle combined with an aggressive hydration regime. And he'll ship the drug anywhere in the world very quickly. The snag is you've only got so long to confirm that amatoxin poisoning is the culprit...
Thanks, I think i'll leave mushrooms to the experts...

Top Bottom