The Foragers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
A large part of my degree was parasitology. One particularly unpleasant lab afternoon was spent sifting through dog poo to locate Toxocara canis eggs. (Sorry if anyone was eating)
I do rather like a spectacular tapeworm though.
Nice. The one he was after was called Mesocestoides.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
At this time of year I collect bramble leaves, just as they’re emerging in bright green bud form. Makes a lovely fruity tea. Also dry some in a low oven, and ca be kept all summer. Very refreshing.

oh, and cow parsley or wild chervil is lovely, if you are careful and know which is which. Otherwise you have picked hemlock and are in trouble.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I collect bramble leaves, just as they’re emerging in bright green bud form. Makes a lovely fruity tea. Also dry some in a low oven, and ca be kept all summer.
I've not tried that. Will give it a go. I have a silver fir tree and tea made from the new spring needles of that is nice.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
cow parsley or wild chervil is lovely, if you are careful and know which is which. Otherwise you have picked hemlock and are in trouble
There's lots of cow parsley round here, and I don't recall seeing much hemlock, but I've avoided picking CP anyway and am keen to steer my newbie foraging companions away from all those feathery umbellifers and onto safer ground, especially as there's tons of hemlock water dropwort around. I might swot up on it properly though and take the cow parsley plunge.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hedge Garlic. Sometimes called Garlic Mustard. I love this stuff - it's very common, easy to ID, and is nice in salads and sarnies. Doesn't keep very well so pick a small amount and eat the same day if possible.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yup looks good for it. Edible, apparently, but not necessarily worth the bother.
They taste bitter according to my 'shroom bible.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've read that Meripilus attacks the roots of beeches and eventually the tree becomes unstable. BTW, some people eat the fungus deep fried in batter. :eek: Even they admit that it's pretty chewy and uninteresting but I admire their dedication.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've read that Meripilus attacks the roots of beeches and eventually the tree becomes unstable. BTW, some people eat the fungus deep fried in batter. :eek: Even they admit that it's pretty chewy and uninteresting but I admire their dedication.
Yes, I read that aswell. Looking at the tree (which is huge),there are signs that it is suffering - lack of vigour, the crown looks a bit sparse - so I think its days may be numbered. I'll get my tree expert friend to take a look for a final answer.

Top Bottom