FNRttC The Fridays 2017 Tour On Tour Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On my way....
IMG_8744.JPG
IMG_8745.JPG

ianmac62

Guru
IMG_1620.JPG
49FD697E-357B-434A-9F3F-2B59155928F6.jpg
Meanwhile, Martin & I have completed the classic Flanders cobbled climb to the hill-top town of Cassel. It is the site of a failure by the British army in 1793 when the Duke of York with 10,000 troops failed to capture it. Hence, the grand old Duke of York; he had 10,000 men; he marched them to the top of the hill; and he marched them down again ....

And they do potted heid !!!

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If the weather on Monday is like the weather now we will fly to Ghent. Coming the other way from Breskens to Oostende via Sluis and Bruges was a trifle brisk. I believe the technical term is "blowing a hooley". We made up a route to Sluis that didn't involve the top of the sea dyke and once past Bruges took to the north bank of the canal in search of a little shelter.

I suspect a trip on the KustTram is in order tomorrow...

rvw

Guru
But at least the sun is shining in Ostende, even though the wind is still rather too brisk. The hotel has let us wangle the tandem into their rather narrow storage corridor along with four other bikes - God knows how they'll be got out past the tandem!

We shall see you tomorrow.

ianmac62

Guru
IMG_1622.JPG
Martin & I are standing by the redundant Douanes cabins (almost at the very end of the wire fencing). Try to get Uno the LEFT-hand lane as you approach them!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A great evening of much hilarity in Dunkirk.
A Ken Dodd joke.
What a great day for sticking a cucumber through your neighbour's letter box and shouting hey up the Martians have landed.
Beer has been consumed.
If it's like this for the next seven days it'll be a decent Tour.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Veurne. Been here before but missed the Grote Markt, which is very pretty. Due to this being a short day, we are taking it very gently. 10am start and this is a coffee stop not lunch. Jason's bar extensions definitely in no need of being used today :smile:

rvw

Guru
We're on a tram heading down the coast, to find somewhere to intercept (ie some seafront bar or other). Where are you stopping for lunch? (Assuming anyone knows!)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A day best described as entertaining with a short section of comedy off roading in deep sand, then thousands of people enjoying a dance festival on the prom who prompted a bit of impromptu navigation (did you see what I did there?) then the end of a running race with many other people. We used the road then. Ostend is a quite happening place.

It iz woke, as I believe Young People would say.

weather good, albeit damp at the start with cloud and finished in glorious hot sunshine.

Oh and no day is complete without a ferry. Especially one supposed to take only 20 bikes. We easily broke that rule. Getting them off was fun.

Top Bottom