the Fridays on tour 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
This is the plan. As of now. Things may change, but, having chatted with the Fabulous MMMartin, this is how I see it.

Susie and I are going on a three dayer from Cherbourg to Dieppe via Brix, Cabourg and Saint-Saen at the end of August. If (and there are no guarantees) this works out then the Fridays will do something similar at the same time next year - taking the Friday ferry out and the Monday ferry back. It might be on the Bank Holiday weekend. If lots and lots and lots of people come there will be a van, but only for luggage - not for bikes. 190 or so miles - so not tough. This will replace London, Newhaven, Dieppe, Paris, but I'm not planning to ride to Portsmouth.

Susie and I are planning a six day tour from Irun to Gerona in late September. If this is a success this will be repeated in early May 2015. There will be no van and bikes will have to go by train or plane, so we are talking superlight touring. 420 miles, with the possibility of a run down to Barcelona on the seventh day. I've been wanting to do this ride for some time, but the discovery that trains to Hendaye do take bikes has made it a bit more likely.

That, as I say, is the plan. I know this won't suit everybody, so I'm putting it out there now in case people want to make their own plans.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm in. For both. Deffo.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yes, and yes. Notwithstanding the logistical complexity, Irun-Girona/Barcelona appealed when first mooted, and it still does. Getting back might be interesting (euphemism) but worth the bother. And though I regret never doing the Paris run, Cherbourg-Dieppe appeals more. Suffice to say if anyone does want to ride to Pompey than I'll happily discuss the route options.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2015 includes a 50th birthday and a 30th Wedding Anniversary for TLH. Chances of me getting to go anywhere without her is less than zero!

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Both sound excellent ideas although like StuAff I shall regret not having done the Paris ride. Diaries complicated as ever as I continue to try to emulate Reilly. Next year includes my 70th & Lonica's 60th in June & we plan to walk Geneva to Menton in July/August. But please put me on the lists....

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Sounds really good. If the dates work (I'm toying with the idea to go for a different kind of bike ride in France in 2015 that only happens every four years), I'm in. I've cycled the French coast between Omaha Beach and Honfleur last year - it's lovely. Spain is mainly a known unkown for me, in particular with regard to cycling.

(I'm toying with the idea to go for a different kind of bike ride in France in 2015 that only happens every four years).
On a Brompton??!!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
If the dates work (I'm toying with the idea to go for a different kind of bike ride in France in 2015 that only happens every four years)
The dates do work for you: the Spain trip will not interfere with the 300k qualifiers (which happen at that time) because you can ride one on another date, and the late August trip is after the event - your only decision will be whether you ever want to see a bike again.
Spain is mainly a known unkown for me, in particular with regard to cycling.
Think of everything you like about riding in France, then double it. That's what cycling in Spain is like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom