the Fridays Tour 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Enough accommodation? Enough alternative roads?

Winds in that part of Europe can be startlingly strong, even in June - but I think they tend to be off the Atlantic, which is good.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hmmm. If I start murdering all the family now I might just be able to get enough time and space, unimpeded by their various crises, to make it.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
For a long time I have harboured thoughts of cycling in those foothills*. I'm happy to give a provisional vote of support for this idea and, although I won't be able to help with the languages, I'd be very happy to form part of this excursion.

Do they have paradors in that part of the world, I wonder?

*Having looked at the Andorra section of the route, I'm not sure foothills is the right term

mmmmartin

Random geezer
RideWithGPS says it has 8,900 metres of climbing and is 656k in all. So if we do it in six days it would be like riding up Ditchling Beacon (which is 200m of climbing) seven times a day. Or, to put it another way, like riding one Ditchling Beacon per hour, every hour of the trip. Every day for six days. :stop:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hmmm, cunning plan there Simon, use a site that shows a route without any elevation data and everyone will think it's flat.....:rolleyes: Unless of course, they remember these roads are used by the Vuelta, the Tour has paid the odd visit as well, David Millar and assorted other pros live/have lived in Girona.....I mght be wanting the Campag 12-29 cassette next year then.
Something similar has crossed my mind before (being as that handy ferry port a mile and a half away would be our departure point). Sounds good, lumpiness aside, which deters me about as much as it deters Adam (I can nonetheless hear the gnashing and wailing already from certain quarters).
Despite the (entirely understandable) objections, I think Olaf's Berlin idea still has considerable merit, though with hotel/B&B prices in the BRD being what they are, block bookings in youth hostels would probably be the only viable option. If we could make them all....
Might I suggest a bit of research is carried out on both suggestions, before any decision is made?

Edit: Martin beat me to it sticking it on RWGPS. Equivalent 42 climbs of Ditchling? Fun, fun, fun :whistle: Altitude and gradient would be more of an issue for me at least than the climb per se.

martint235

Dog on a bike
RideWithGPS says it has 8,900 metres of climbing and is 656k in all. So if we do it in six days it would be like riding up Ditchling Beacon (which is 200m of climbing) seven times a day. Or, to put it another way, like riding one Ditchling Beacon per hour, every hour of the trip. Every day for six days. :stop:
Where do I sign?? :bicycle: :laugh:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and what's wrong with that?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's a wealth of considerations

- getting the bikes to and from. My first thought is that we coach/fly/ferry to Bilbao and fly/train/coach back from Girona
- accommodation
- catering

but bear in mind that I've ridden these roads and I don't think that they would imperil my marriage

StuAff

there's a wealth of considerations

- getting the bikes to and from
- accommodation
- catering

but bear in mind that I've ridden these roads and I don't think that they would imperil my marriage
Fingers crossed for you on that one ;)

StuAff

Either that, or he knows where Mark's supply of whatever-it-is-makes-him-climb-so-fast is and he plans to start slipping some into her breakfasts.

If he does, can we have some too please? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom