The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a triple whoopee! With added yippees! In the shape of an elevenses stop that is also a bike workshop!

And there's a 24 hour McDonalds at Hockliffe!

Mind you, there are bits that are pretty tough going - Kettering to Oakham is up and down, up and down...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mapmyride does it. So does bikehike. So do any number of websites. But they all give different answers. If you express the climbing across the course of a day in Ditchlings, and use a consistent source to work out what one Ditchling is, you'll get a comprehensible answer.

[edit] one quick calculation on bikehike later - Corbridge to Jedburgh along the A68 is 5.4 Ditchlings. Which doesn't really seem so bad, since it's over 20 times the distance of Ditchling.
Does that not mean the SI unit "Ditchling" needs to be a measure of height gained over a set distance?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
a triple whoopee! With added yippees! In the shape of an elevenses stop that is also a bike workshop!

And there's a 24 hour McDonalds at Hockliffe!

Mind you, there are bits that are pretty tough going - Kettering to Oakham is up and down, up and down...

The porridge is good.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
actually I make it the entire fourth day 6.8 Ditchlings, taking Ditchling as 433 feet, and Chris's map showing 2982 feet. Now think that one through..........

Sketchley

Über Member
actually I make it the entire fourth day 6.8 Ditchlings, taking Ditchling as 433 feet, and Chris's map showing 2982 feet. Now think that one through..........

Lots of fast down hill sections I hope. That'll make all the up bits bearable.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Kettering to Oakham is up and down, up and down...
No it isn't:

16:27​
Kettering​

16:54​
Leicester​
Train​
EAST MIDLANDS TRAINS​
00h 27​

17:18​
Leicester​

17:45​
Oakham​
Train​
CROSSCOUNTRY​
00h 27​

It's less than an hour by train, via Leicester......

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster

I did over 8000ft in ones days riding along the Jurassic coast, over 78 miles, fully tour loaded (apx 45kgs), which done me in.. But, if I can do it, anyhow can.. childs play... xx(

ianmac62

Guru
I did over 8000ft in ones days riding along the Jurassic coast

Ah, so in SI Units, 1 Jurassic = 1 Ventoux.

Kettering to Oakham is up and down, up and down...

Yes, it is. Why does no-one ever believe that North Northants/Rutland/South Leics can be hilly? They don't sound hilly and there a no high points (SI unit = 1 Marilyn) but the ups and downs can really get you!

ianmac62

Guru
Ah ... and those of you going on to Cape Wrath have a treat! The OS 1:50,000 map for Cape Wrath is the sheet with the greatest number of ups-and-downs. Here the SI unit of Marilyns turns into the *kurtosis* quotient.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I have been seduced away from the ride to Cape Wrath by the prospect of a celebratory booze up, grub, a good night's kip, bunging the bike onna coach and waking up in That London.

If I like That North England Place Wiv Kilts I'm going back to do Cape Wrath, the west coast and the islands one summer in a few years, about the same time as I plan as I do Spain, Tibet, Indian Hill Railways and Patagonia on an expensive expedition bike bought from my redundancy money. (The Present Mrs Mmmmartin does not read these forums.)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Davy, those of us who have done d'Aubisque, Tourmalet and d'Aspin in a single day salute you!

Top Bottom