The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If your breakfasting in Northampton then think Salcey Forest Cafe.
http://www.salceyforestcafe.com/
It should be just off your route up from Newport Pagnell.

If you want to miss the A508 north of Northampton then theres either the Bramptom Valley Way.
Its an old railway line so offroad but a good macadam surface.
Or the A5199 then across to the B6047 via Kibworth Beaucamp, its a couple of miles further but the roads a lot quieter.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm getting some feedback which suggests an extra day - leaving Friday am. What do people think?

U

User482

If you're stopping at Helmsdale, you really should visit the chippy (you can eat in). "Quirky" really doesn't do it justice...as I recall, it includes a homage to Barbara Cartland.

mistral

Guru
I can understand people being a little concerned. But a gentle 60 or 70 miles through the night followed by 25 or so miles after breakfast, then 25 miles more following elevenses is easily doable by your target group. I suggest the thought of 120+ miles without sleep is more daunting than the actual task. It also has the advantage of getting us out of the smoke on relatively quiet roads?

And don't forget; Simon has sorted the weather, it will be a lovely clear night with a gently tailwind, the sunrise will be glorious followed by the perfect summers day .....

From jockeying to 'Jock' eyeing eh, John?
Hay ho! :smile:
Something like that Martin. ;-)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I prefer the midnight start for the empty roads through London, the iconic FNRttC start to the tour and the Friday at work which means I will not have to take an extra day of holiday.
I will be knackered by 3pm on the Saturday but then again I plan to be in my tent by then. I see the start as a normal FNRttC, then a bit of a potter for an hour or two (-ish) and an early finish. Then some kip, dinner in a pub and an early night. Not too much of a strain.

Also, I think I should flag up that after the Tour I am pondering riding from JoG to Cape Wrath because this is just about the only chance I will ever have to do it. I am thinking of riding into Saturday evening, and arriving on Sunday at Durness. There is a tiny boat masquerading as a ferry across a short stretch of water, cyclists are charged £7,50 return and it runs every day in summer. There is an 11 mile track to the actual Cape on the other side which a small bus can navigate so my bike can. I am hoping to get to the Cape and back to "the mainland" by Sunday night. That gives me until Tuesday night to get to Inverness, and on the overnight train and straight into the office on Wednesday. Company welcome.
And while riding up from Dungeness is an admirable intention, it involves cycling through some very grotty bits of London, possibly in the rush hour, so I am not doing that.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm getting some feedback which suggests an extra day - leaving Friday am. What do people think?
I don't particularly fancy the idea of the A5 through London and Dunstable during daylight hours on a weekday (it'll be chock-a-block with HGVs), and it makes the LE-London leg trickier to fit in - I was mentally counting on the Friday to do washing and resting. On the other hand there are other routes up through the Chilterns and northwards, but the nice ones would add climbing.

A compromise might be a Friday earlier start (?sundown), which would give a chance for an hour or few of sleep somewhere in the MK area.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Stephen - that was pretty much my thinking. The hejira, cloaked in silence and darkness. Redbourne at two in the morning, all tucked up in bed, except one small child, drawn to the bedroom window by the sussuration of tyres and quiet voices. A dream implanted, an ambition realised in a decade yet to come. Milton Keynes at four in the morning, DavyWalnutWhips stocking up on chocolate with quiet determination as the rest of bid goodbye to the last vestiges of southern suburbia. Swooping down in to Northampton and fleeing from the ring road before the city stirs. Market Harborough, soft stone and moistened by the Welland, and Melton Mowbray, red brick and cheap slate, all lit up by the morning sun, the clatter of shops opening dulled by tiredness. The scarp above Harby, all of the great flat to York laid out before us, the the mighty Trent flowing north and east, low byres housing cows brought in from watermeadows.....

Top Bottom