The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Up to a point, Lord Copper.

U

User10571

Sussuration?
6641758551_8d86c0b225_o.png

I would've said sibilation, myself.

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm getting some feedback which suggests an extra day - leaving Friday am. What do people think?

I thought the first night-day sounded a bit hard. From my experience of doing that sort of thing a few times, I know that I generally get a bit sleepy after breakfast. With half an hour nap at that point, I have felt great to ride all day. Without it, I've found it hard going for a few hours (but then been alert later in the day).

StuartG

slower but further
Oh god, are we all going to be crammed into a bus shelter somewhere like they do on these long audax thingys? :ohmy:
I think what Del wast trying to say was bus shelters are strictly reserved for bus pass holders with bromptons ... well until you cross the scottie border

frank9755

Cyclist
Oh god, are we all going to be crammed into a bus shelter somewhere like they do on these long audax thingys? :ohmy:

On PBP, I was a bit tired after riding through the first night and was rather wanting a nap. But it was raining, and every possible dry corner had a cyclist sleeping in it - bus shelters, church doorways, everywhere. It looked a bit like a neutron bomb had been detonated!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Am I right in thinking that sleeping under canvas is a solid option and that said camping gear and other luggage will be transported for participants and not carried on the bike? In which case I might go and get my one man tent out of the loft and see if I like camping any more in my fifties than I did in my thirties.

LouiseL

I'm usually ok staying awake on the first night of a ride. I get a bit dozy around 3am but wake up again once the sun is fully up. I have no problem at all staying awake the next day as long as I'm pedalling or eating. I only feel sleepy if I stop or when it gets dark if I haven't slept a bit before then. I would prefer a Friday night start- less holiday used & less traffic in London. It's not going to be a full night and day riding to the first stop surely so people can catch up missed sleep there by either having an early nap or sleeping through.

I'd agree with the comments above. It would be much more difficult to have 20+ riders heading up the A5 during the day, as there are stretches where it is not at all pleasant due to the volume and type of traffic. The alternative is to use more minor roads which would be hillier and involve more issues with navigation.

Logistically, it would be far simpler to start at night and get the grotty bits out of the way first when there is far less traffic. 123 miles, with the majority done at night will be far easier and it is not a large distance based on the target audience. Don't forget there will be ample opportunity for rest along the way, and on the assumption you'll get to Bingham by 2-3 pm, you can then get a couple of hours sleep, enjoy a good evening, then get an early night, and then wake up bright and early on Sunday morning, refreshed and ready to go.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So I cycle 70/80/120 miles northwards (which is uphill, as any fule kno) then I have to find a campsite and PUT UP A TENT and crawl into it to try and sleep :wacko: ... well I never thought i'd be quoting my arch-enemy Maggie T, but, 'NO, NO, NO!' (I wouldn't have done that in my thirties either ^_^). hahahahaha nice one Greg.
First night you should just use a bivvy bag.:crazy:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So I cycle 70/80/120 miles northwards (which is uphill, as any fule kno) then I have to find a campsite and PUT UP A TENT and crawl into it to try and sleep :wacko: ... well I never thought i'd be quoting my arch-enemy Maggie T, but, 'NO, NO, NO!' (I wouldn't have done that in my thirties either ^_^). hahahahaha nice one Greg.
no - you join Susie and others in a scented hotel with choccys on the pillow, rose petals on the duvet, bubbles and lights in the bath and towels that are so fluffy you'll need a map to find your way out of them. Your laundry will be done for you while you have your nails polished and your fringe adjusted by 'Sergio', the hotel crimpeur (Frank will think that's something to do with climbing, and don't tell him otherwise)

U

User10571

1669169 said:
If it makes it any easier, think of it more as Don Logan.

Brilliant.
And even better if you watch the link and then go to the 'Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes' one.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
no - you join Susie and others in a scented hotel with choccys on the pillow, rose petals on the duvet, bubbles and lights in the bath and towels that are so fluffy you'll need a map to find your way out of them. Your laundry will be done for you while you have your nails polished and your fringe adjusted by 'Sergio', the hotel crimpeur (Frank will think that's something to do with climbing, and don't tell him otherwise)
Which works until about the borders, at which point the scented hotel becomes a scented b+b, the scent becomes stale fag-smoke and the duvet becomes nylon sheets under a cellular blanket.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Which works until about the borders, at which point the scented hotel becomes a scented b+b, the scent becomes stale fag-smoke and the duvet becomes nylon sheets under a cellular blanket.
at which point my own sleeping bag becomes a familiar and attractive proposition.

Top Bottom