The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
You should have been me on Saturday. We were walking through Tonbridge and as I passed one of the many charity shops, I spotted a pair of cycling shoes in the window. They were brand new Peleton shoes in size 44. I wouldn't normaly go for this brand, but they were only £20 !!!!!!!
My size is 43 or 44, so I got them. Without cleats, but I have a pair in the spares box.

It turned out that a sports/cycling shop was closing down and they donated several pairs to the charity shop. I was lucky as these were the last pair and my size. Think they retail around £130!
Sorry to drag this post out a bit, but on lifting all the tissue paper out of the box lo and behold, there was a set of cleats!
Unfortunatly, they are look Delta cleats and I am now on the Keo's.

So if any of you frugal people are still using Look Delta's, I am happy to pass these on at no charge and share the benefit of my lucky find!

Just PM your details and I will pop it in the post.

Edit: offer has been taken up.

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

Never heard of a Thermal Cooker before. Would that be a posh version of what we called a Hay Box in the Boy Scots?

See above.
A tad smaller than anything the scouts came up with i imagine. Plus more efficient. And many folks don't have access to ready supplies of hay

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not by nature a very frugal soul (maybe as I don't really need to be :blush:) although I do like a deal and dislike paying more than I need to for stuff.

My Virgin Broadband contract is up this month (I currently have BB, landline, and a TV box in the bedroom (I tend to watch for an hour before zzz), I was paying £56 a month, and it's going up to £65 or something.

I get my TV in the lounge via Sky (have done for years, I watch a lot of Sky channels including sport, no films, no BT sport, get free with my EE mobile contract), costs me about £63 a month (I'll try to negotiate). So for £10 a month, I'll replace the Virgin box with Sky Multiscreen in the bedroom. I suppose I could just stream Sky on the tablet but I do far prefer to watch a larger screen.

I have this week had 105MB Community Fibre BB installed for the princely sum of £17.99 a month, however the nice salesman gave me 5 months free, so over the 2 year contract, it'll average at £14ish a month :okay:

I'm ditching my landline as even my elderly parents now call my mobile (from their landline, they have all calls included :laugh:) and I just get spam calls on it :rolleyes: (will save some leccy not having the phones plugged in too :becool:)

So if my sums are vaguely correct, I should save around £30-40 a month. Just need to make a couple of calls :becool:

vickster

Legendary Member
All working well. CF working as reliably if not more so than Virgin and Sky mini in bedroom gives me more channels than Virgin did. So win win. Not really noticing the saving but then I don’t pay much attention to my finances in reality!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As someone who will use every part of a duck except the quack :angel:

Or as the owner of a meat canning factory told me “ we use everything except the farts”.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Some good examples of the late queen's frugality in Tina Brown's Palace Papers if you are thirsting for tips.

That's blown any attempt at frugality.

Interesting book - just purchased Kindle version for Mrs SD @ £7.99. :laugh:

She is anti-monarchy but finds the whole dysfunctional mess and bloated privilege of the royals fascinating.

Well, I've been using the same beads and baubles on the tree for the best part of thirty years, and they weren't new when I bought them... :angel: My 4ft artificial tree got retired a few years ago and I've switched to a little 2ft one I picked up in a charity shop.

Means I can put the tree on an occasional table (more or less) out of reach of the cats LOL. Downside is, it's too small for some of the baubles...

Top Bottom