The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
With a bottle of Tip-ex, I was able to re-use last year's Christmas cards. :okay:

Us Two here give the same Xmas, birthday and anniversary cards to each other, year after year, albeit with fresh messages.

They only get renewed when they become full up.

Never intended as a frugality measure it just seemed kind of romantic to look back at all the lovey-dovey messages each year.

On the other hand it probably saves about £20 pa. ^_^

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thread has gone quiet - has frugality been suspended for Christmas?

No, it has been hung on the back of the Tree.

Petrichorwheels

That's blown any attempt at frugality.

Interesting book - just purchased Kindle version for Mrs SD @ £7.99. :laugh:

She is anti-monarchy but finds the whole dysfunctional mess and bloated privilege of the royals fascinating.

ah but if really frugal you would have got it/sent it as a free ebook from the library. Mine cost nowt.
still it is interesting, even for non royal hounds like me.
and she is a decent writer with a nice turn of phrase. At one point refers to one of Kate Middleton's schools, a centre of bullying apparently, as "a boiling vat of oestrogen".
Will leave Mrs SD to find the slightly barbed comment on Diana's make-up.

mustang1

Legendary Member
When I make a cup of tea, I boil extra water and make tea in my thermos too, for later.

When washing hands, brushing teeth, taking shower, I have the tap on trickle (except shower where I go as low as possible). For washing hands and bushing teeth, I use cold water.

When the family are out, I reduce central heating slightly and wear warmer clothes if required.

Tyres usually at higher-end of the pressure scale.

I naturally a very gentle driver, accelerating gently, anticipating traffic up ahead but I also hope not too irritating for other drivers. Most of the time I am not tailgated.

here's another one then from Tina, said of kate which of course reflects well on her.
"she doesn't have the bitch gene you need to be a player at a single-sex school"

Don't I know about that one, I was usually at the receiving end of it... It's one of the reasons I took up fencing. No one's going to argue when you've got the best part of three feet of steel in your hand AND you know how to use it.

Back to frugality, I made a lovely pot of alphabet soup using the cooking juices from last week's pork joint. :hungry:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Don't I know about that one, I was usually at the receiving end of it... It's one of the reasons I took up fencing. No one's going to argue when you've got the best part of three feet of steel in your hand AND you know how to use it.

Back to frugality, I made a lovely pot of alphabet soup using the cooking juices from last week's pork joint. :hungry:

What is alphabet soup?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have tested the MrD's thermal cooker for cooking Pasta this evening. Brought to the boil on the hob, put it in the thermal pot for 10mins and perfect pasta!
A small victory for frugality!

Bolognese sauce made in the Ninja Foodie....

Looks interesting, and, reviews are positive, but, difficult to see how they justify approximately £100 for two (albeit well insulated) tin cans?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Looks interesting, and, reviews are positive, but, difficult to see how they justify approximately £100 for two (albeit well insulated) tin cans?

It's not a big volume product and I can imagine that engineering a vacuum insulated container in stainless is not cheap either. If used regularly and depending on the heat source the payback might be worth it. Using calor at home or on a narrowboat/caravan can imagine it's quite a benefit....

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
I get my bikes off the scrap heap at the shop I work at.

The green one is fixed up but the white one is “as found”...
D5E61277-D5E8-47E5-8F56-FE4DB997B68D.jpeg

C5EC7F4E-BB6A-4DEE-B1BC-7D693CC82F33.jpeg

Yeah... people throw stuff like this out. Its a big part of whats wrong with this world!

Top Bottom