The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No smell, unless artichokes have been eaten, just a bit of bleach. We don't leave it there forever, just flush it less often.
What's the sense in using 6,000 ml of potable water to flush away a small amount of pee that is mainly water, too. When we do have guests we'll give the chain a yank..

We cut right down on loo flushing after we went on a water meter.

Mind you, it's getting a little full now so I'll have to get up there with shovel tomorrow and scoop some out.

Well it looks better on the mannequin than it ever did on me.

:huh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had some Uniqlo HeatTech Ultra vests and LJs for a couple of years. I think it's time to see how long we can hold out before turning on the central heating this winter and saving gas while poking Putin in the eye. With the right clothing, I reckon we could hold out for months. Personally, I find the idea of watching last month's turds swirling around in the bowl for days a step too far. I'm obviously not cut out to be a prepper.

Round here, a thousand litres of water costs about £2.50. Even is you use a Donald Trump style lavatory that (errr..) pisses away fifteen litres per flush, it's not going to cost you a fortune to wave goodbye to the brown jobbies.

About 4p. You know you can do it.......

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
if you're lazy like me and only shave twice a week.
:ohmy: Tut! tut!🧐

Last edited:

presta

Guru
the average household throws out about £60-worth of food a month
People love to demonise the supermarkets, but they're not the culprits when it comes to food waste:
(Data from WRAP)
1663457278270.png

it's getting a little full now so I'll have to get up there with shovel tomorrow and scoop some out
That reminds me of Josie Dew's Wind in my Wheels.
Staying at a hotel in the third world somewhere, she described a full loo that was overflowing all over the floor, then out of the door and down the staircase.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've had some Uniqlo HeatTech Ultra vests and LJs for a couple of years. I think it's time to see how long we can hold out before turning on the central heating this winter and saving gas while poking Putin in the eye. With the right clothing, I reckon we could hold out for months. Personally, I find the idea of watching last month's turds swirling around in the bowl for days a step too far. I'm obviously not cut out to be a prepper.

Round here, a thousand litres of water costs about £2.50. Even is you use a Donald Trump style lavatory that (errr..) pisses away fifteen litres per flush, it's not going to cost you a fortune to wave goodbye to the brown jobbies.

About 4p. You know you can do it.......

I don't think anyone was suggesting leaving a Charles the 3rd bobbing around in the pan, Hence the phrase I quoted. ☺

Edit: 4p a flush x 10 flushes per day is a couple of quid off £150 a year

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
All you posters worrying about flushing your loo should move to Scotland, domestic water rates are a fixed amount and no meters, so flush away every time. And of course there is an abundance of the stuff falling from the sky!

I'm in two minds about all this frugality. Some of it makes sense, some of it seems a bit OTT.. Being a singleton and having no direct family to pass anything on to when it's my turn to go, my ambition is to be at maximum overdraft when the inevitable happens. It's knowing just when that is going to happen that is the problem :laugh:.

You only live once, so be good to yourself and others. Live within your means, but what is the point in saving in these times of low interest rates? I don't have a big income but what I do have I intend to use.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Josie Dew story reminds me of an agricultural show we were at snd my wife came back to our stand for her wellies as she said the ladies loo was self emptying — over the top.

One approach is to have a look at your usual diet and make a change for healthy, more fresh plant based with a less meat. They are much cheaper. No need to go organic as they are expensive. Things like couscous, lentils, tofu and a wide variety of greens. Instead of steak, add slices of meat like the Chinese and Thais do for their dishes.

1663490700618.png

Top Bottom