The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Doesnt the bathroom/toilet begin to smell though? Our toilet is flushed after every time and various things thrown down like bleach/ zoflora etc as I hate funny nasty smells. Urine does smell, theres no two ways about it. Also what if a guest came and saw a loo full of urine? Its not very nice and they would tell people as well.

Same here, bathroom needs to be clean. I would imagine mellow yellow increases build up of limescale etc.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have t-shirts and shirts that have lasted for years ... right now, I'm sporting a Ben Sherman that I 'borrowed' from my brother in 2007 and never gave back. I have other Bens that I bought in a chazza shop about 15 years ago, and they still look good (imho). Just yesterday, I was wearing a Great North Run t-shirt from 2008. ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

Some of us have had economic hard times in the past and expect the next couple of years to be difficult.

Yes I remember, mortgage, growing family and low wages. Being made redundant, next job didn't pay as much and living off the overdraft, my bank account was in the black for only a few days after payday. My post was humorous but you appear to not have noticed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Get hair clippers, clipper it at home with a number 1. No more shampoo or no more expensive hair cuts.

yup been doing that for years , aka the convict cut ...
motoring ... last payment for out current car was march and we are keeping it , we do maybe 4000 miles a year mainly mrs ck pootling and the odd long drive.its a 1 ltr 3 cyclinder turbo jobbie and suits her also getting her to walk mini ck 2 to school when she can rather than drive to save petrol
cycling .... cycle to work every day unless its dangerous so that saves a lot of dough on petrol , 3 of my fleet were bought on c2w before final valuation fee came in and one i built from spares onto a second hand frame
shopping.... mrs ck works for a supermarket so 15 % staff discount even so we are cutting back on goodies , kids now only get shop brand pop etc
electric/gas.... getting family to turn off stuff when not in use , heating turned down 1.5 c , washing machine now on shorter colder wash cycles.
Clothes... 2 growing kids we do what we can but no branded clothes etc

No more takeaways etc ( although it was a once/twice a month treat anyway )

tyred

Legendary Member
Save petrol money by buying a Skoda Fabia and as there is always something wrong with the damn thing you won't actually drive anywhere :okay:

bruce1530

Guru
In public buildings and schools, yes. But otherwise not.

It was like that initially, but has moved forward considerably since the "Period Products (Free Provision) (Scotland)" Bill came into play fully in August this year. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51629880 .

Yes, they have been available in schools, colleges, Universities and public buildings for a while. But the list is expanding - Libraries, sports centres, food banks, community larders, and all sorts of community organisations. Most councils also do a "mail order" service as well, where you can get a 3 month supply. "Freely available to all. Not means tested."

I have a personal interest - a family member was part of the service delivery team that set up this initiative.

Last edited:
It was like that initially, but has moved forward considerably since the "Period Products (Free Provision) (Scotland)" Bill came into play fully in August this year. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51629880 .

Yes, they have been available in schools, colleges, Universities and public buildings for a while. But the list is expanding - Libraries, sports centres, food banks, community larders, and all sorts of community organisations. Most councils also do a "mail order" service as well, where you can get a 3 month supply. "Freely available to all. Not means tested."

I have a personal interest - a family member was part of the service delivery team that set up this initiative.

OK, didn't realise it had been massively expanded. It's a fabby thing to do, imho :okay:

presta

Guru
make a change for healthy, more fresh plant based with a less meat. They are much cheaper.
Healthy food is much more expensive than junk food, which is one reason why it's so difficult to get the poor to eat a better diet. The CEDAR centre at Cambridge University did a study a while ago, which found that the average cost per calorie of healthy foodstuffs with an FSA Nutrient Profile Score below four was three times that of less heathly food.
This is a plot of cost per 1000kcals vs NPS for the foodstuffs in my diet, you can clearly see that the average trend overall is that more healthy = more expensive.

1663544903924.png

This study found that taxing unhealthy food actually increases deaths from cancer and cardiovascular disease, but taxing and using the revenue to subsidise the cost of healthy food saves lives.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Another inveterate yellow sticker-er here :hello:

This time of year is also fabby for a country girl like me, because I enjoy going foraging for fruit and nuts. And there's a community orchard in the village as well. Oh yes, and I cook from scratch too.

Shampoo... May I recommend the solid bars of shampoo as opposed to the bottles. You get far better mileage out of them, and the packaging is better for the environment too. I love the Alberto Balsam coconut & lychee one that Tesco sells.

And one last thing (sorry if I make you gents squelch a bit), but reusable period products. The initial outlay was a bit spendy (I have two moon cups) but they paid for themselves in less than a year and now there's no running costs at all.

To keep it squelchy, a portable bidet and a couple of old flannels or torn-up old towels for drying, saves an awful lot of toilet paper. Makes you cleaner and fresher to boot!

Top Bottom